This job has now expired
c. £30,000 pa
10 months fixed-term contract
As the UK’s leading provider of student finance, our 2,000 employees deliver a critical service to over three million students annually in universities and colleges across the UK. With more people applying for loans than ever before, we’re working to become quicker and smarter in the way we approach our business.
This means making sure we promote student finance through a range of channels that are relevant to our audiences and we communicate potentially complex issues clearly and concisely. That’s where you come in.
We’re looking to appoint an enthusiastic, experienced individual who can help us develop and implement our media strategy; someone who can be our voice in every area from regional and national media to social media networks. Your responsibilities will include answering press enquiries, developing press briefing materials, and preparing responses to cover a wide range of potential press issues. We’ll also consider applicants willing to be seconded from another part of the public sector.
As well as assessing all new media opportunities and developing regional and national contacts, you’ll also source all story materials and help shape our overall strategy for social media.
- Education to degree level
- Experience using social media in a business environment
- Experience working within a press office environment and broader communications team
- Knowledge of the requirements of a large organisation in communicating with its audience
- A good understanding of the political impact of messaging and when to escalate issues
- Demonstrable interest in social media and current affairs and events
- Experience handling national media enquiries and proactively selling in news stories and placing articles
- Some experience gathering and collating complex messages
- Ability to demonstrate a clear customer focus with internal and external audiences
- Experience writing press releases and writing and shaping customer messages
- Ability to be a team player, flexible, adaptable, and work to tight deadlines
- Ability to effectively influence a range of audiences
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel as necessary to our Darlington office as and when required.
The following, whilst not essential, are desirable:
- Working knowledge of the UK media
- Experience of working in the public sector and government departments.
- Experience using a media database to create contact lists and issue press releases
- Knowledge of student finance, the higher education sector and the different policies on tuition fees.
At the Student Loans Company, we’re all about supporting people. We provide students with the resources to achieve their full potential, helping them build a great future. And when you join us, we’ll do the same for you.
Closing date: Thursday 20th September 2012.
We’re committed to Equal Opportunities.
To apply, please click the "Apply now" button.