Senior Communications Specialist
Reporting to IIASA’s Head of Communications, the Senior Communications Specialist will:
- Support the formulation and development of IIASA’s communications strategy
- Flawlessly implement and monitor a range of science communication activities that contribute to the strategy
- Provide expert communication advice to IIASA’s top managers and program leaders
- Act as deputy to the Head of Communications and Officer in Charge during periods of absence (from 1 November 2012, IIASA's Head of Communications will work one day a week at the Institute).
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out established IIASA communication activities that involve a high level of expertise in all communication tools (publications, website, media, events, and social media). Monitor and evaluate the activities to ensure continual improvement
- Research and analyze the communication needs of new Institutional initiatives (e.g. presenting IIASA as a Global Think Tank), develop creative science communication activities to help achieve the objectives of the initiatives. Implement and monitor the activities
- Work with IIASA’s directorate and senior researchers to promote the achievements of IIASA to target audiences ranging from the general public to policy makers
- Build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders and organizations in member countries and develop and implement communication campaigns to maximize the profile of IIASA in these countries (working closely with the Directorate)
- Support the communication needs of IIASA’s Director/CEO by preparing speeches, presentations, and other materials as requested
- Support and mentor colleagues in the Communications department who have primary responsibility for core communication tools (web, media, publications)
- Implement the institute’s policy on branding
- Cultivate excellent working relationships with IIASA scientists and staff to support their dissemination efforts through offering professional communication advice and implementing communication activities.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (master's degree or equivalent) or bachelor's degree plus professional qualification in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field, or demonstrable qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of a university degree
- At least ten years’ experience in successfully implementing communications activities across a wide range of channels (events, Web, media, broadcasting, publications, marketing)
- Strong strategic communication skills and sound political judgment necessary for a large organization with numerous and diverse stakeholders around the world
- Excellent science writing skills and proven ability to present complex science information to a non-specialist audience
- Native English speaker and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with the interface between science and policy and getting research into policy desirable
- Experience in managing high-level contacts with civil society organizations, government officials, business groups, international organizations and similar groups desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team and to maintain professional and productive relationships with scientists and staff from diverse nationalities
- Proven ability to coordinate and oversee the work of others.
The successful candidate should be willing and able to commit to a three year contractual affiliation with the Institute following an initial appointment term of one year.
IIASA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including moving allowances and home leave. Salaries are exempt from taxation in Austria, but subject to the principle of income aggregation.
Preference will be given to applicants who are nationals of IIASA member countries. The Institute’s management and staff alike are committed to a working environment that promotes equality, diversity, and tolerance. The Institute encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
For more information and to find out how to apply, please click on the 'Apply now' button.
More jobs like this
- Full Time Research Senior Press Officer Associations / Institutions jobs in Germany
- Full Time Research Senior Press Officer Education jobs in Germany
- Full Time Research Senior Press Officer Media and New Media jobs in Germany
- Full Time Research Senior Press Officer Environmental jobs in Germany
- Full Time Research Senior Press Officer Technology jobs in Germany