Edinburgh and Glasgow
£25,165 - £30,267 (Plus £3,750 recruitment and retention allowance)
We are seeking applications for a number of Communications Officer posts based in both Edinburgh and Glasgow. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a fast paced, integrated communications environment at the heart of the Scottish Government. As a Communications Officer, you will help to shape and communicate messages about how the work of the Scottish Government affects the people of Scotland.
In a fast moving environment, you will be the first port of call for journalists with enquiries about Scottish Government affairs. You will also provide presentational and communications advice and expertise to Cabinet Secretaries, Ministers and policy officials, helping to drive the media agenda. You will work collaboratively with your colleagues to promote a strategic and integrated approach to communications within Government. In practical terms, this will vary from writing press releases and news articles, to undertaking social media campaigns, organising news conferences and conducting interviews. You will be expected to provide credible and authoritative communications advice to policy colleagues on the best methods of communicating with different stakeholder groups.
Qualifications &Experience Required
- You must hold a minimum of 3 SCE Higher or A Level qualifications with one being English. Please note, only grades A, B and C are acceptable.
- Strong knowledge and experience of working with the media is essential.
- You will demonstrate a keen news sense and understanding of the political context, together with sound judgement and the ability to build strong and trusting working relationships.
- You will come up with creative and innovative communications solutions, often at short notice, and have a track record of presenting your views effectively to clients and senior colleagues.
- You will have a strong knowledge and experience of using a variety of communications channels and technologies to reach different audiences.
Further details on the duties and experience required for this post can be found in the Person Specification & Further Information for Job Applicants which can be downloaded from our website.
This is a permanent and pensionable appointment. New entrants will normally start on the minimum of the pay range. These posts carry a specialist Recruitment and Retention Allowance of £3,750, which is due for review in Spring 2013. A reserve list of successful candidates will be kept for up to 12 months from the date of assessment.
Candidates with a disability who meet the minimum essential criteria for the appointment will be invited to the assessment centre.
Completed applications must be submitted by 04/12/2012 at Midnight.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people and aim to employ a diverse workforce which reflects the people of Scotland.
To apply, please click the "Apply now" button.
If you experience any difficulties accessing the Work for Scotland website, please write to Scottish Government, Resourcing Team, M1 Spur, Saughton House, Broomhouse Drive, Edinburgh, EH11 3XD.