Salary £26,762 - £35,683
Purpose of the Role
NATS is a world leader in the provision of air traffic control services. This year we will handle more than 2m flights carrying in excess of 220m passengers all over the world. At the heart of our operation are our people – everyone an individual with a unique contribution to make.
The Media Relations Department at NATS is recruiting for a Press Officer to join their team. In support of the Media Relations team, the purpose of the role is to protect, develop and enhance NATS’ global reputation by proactively contributing to the development and delivery of NATS’ media relations strategy.
- Protect, develop and enhance the profile and reputation of NATS by creating and delivering a wide range of media relations activities that target media both in the UK and internationally.
- Support the delivery of a proactive media relations strategy by contributing to a story pipeline to drive activity. This will be driven by close working relationships with other areas of communications and excellent relationships across the business to unlock story opportunities as well as joint activities with customers and key business partners.
- Act as a point of contact for journalists across the national, regional, consumer, trade, online and social media. This includes providing journalists with easily accessible information online by maintaining the currency and accuracy of the NATS online media centre.
- Prepare, research and write a wide range of written and online material including news releases, articles and statements including creative collateral ensuring that they are all brand compliant.
- Provide support for a wide range of events for journalists and opinion formers to support key business projects and initiatives. This includes political and trade association activity.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day monitoring and maintenance of Media Relations systems and processes (press cuttings, journalist databases, forward planner) and use those systems to identify potential issues and opportunities.
- Use appropriate channels to promote media coverage to an internal audience. This includes preparing cuttings for distribution to the Board on a monthly basis.
- Participate in NATS’ response to major incident scenarios involving NATS, directly or indirectly. This includes participation in the 24/7 duty press officer roster and manning the press office out of hours at little or no notice depending on the incident.
- On a quarterly basis, review and update the Communications Crisis Plan for distribution to the communications team.
- Provide communications support to a number of NATS air traffic control towers at airports across the country, working to identify and maximise opportunities to leverage positive media coverage.
- Act as a key point of contact with NATS’ Employee Communications team, sharing news stories and investigating opportunities to use internal stories externally.
- Provide media support to a number of cross-discipline campaigns on behalf of the Communications team.
- As part of the wider media relations use known and emerging social media channels to promote NATS’ business success and achievements.
Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Personal Qualities
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Experience of working in a media relations environment (gained either in-house or agency).
- Strong communication and writing skills that can be adapted to different formats and audiences e.g. news releases, blog posts, intranet articles and the ability to deliver to tight timescales.
- Confident with strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build good relationships both internally and externally.
- Experience of working as part of a wider communications team and ensuring that activities and messages are co-ordinated and aligned.
- A good news sense and awareness of potential newsworthy or contentious issues.
- A self starter with the energy and organisational skills to support multiple projects.
- Experience of working with business and technical information desirable.
- Evidence, or ability to learn, skills required for working with the media following a major incident or significant event.
For more information and to apply, pelase click the "Apply now" button.
NATS leads the aviation industry in business and technological development, offering wide ranging expertise and innovative services to meet the on-going challenges of airports, airlines, governments and ANSPs