This job has now expired
Up to £60,000 + benefits
British Holiday & Home Parks Association
Gloucester-based UK trade association for a £3+bn tourism, leisure and accommodation industry seeks an exceptional candidate for this new position. The role is demanding and varied; the successful candidate will be a first-class communicator, with a proven track record within a policy or public affairs environment with the drive and ability to quickly get to grips with the industry’s legislation.
The role demands a self-starting, quick-to-learn, hardworking, reliable team worker with an eye for detail and a passion for clear and accurate communication both orally and through the written word.
The role will be to represent the interests of the industry and provide policy advice to Association members. The Policy Director will be required to travel, communicating with Government and decision-makers on the regulatory issues impacting on the industry.
Key to success will be detailed preparation and presentation of the industry’s case through submissions, speeches and articles, in consultation with the industry membership. This must be coupled with the ability to communicate often technical issues to the Association’s members through a variety of media: Journal articles, www, letters, conferences and telephone.
All applicants will be emailed with an application pack, including a copy of the application form. You will need to return this to us, with your CV, by 5pm on Monday 21 January.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Monday 21 January 2013.
Our selection process takes place in 3 stages – an initial telephone interview, a second stage assessment day which includes some exercises and tests, and a final interview.
Initial telephone interviews will take place between 24 January and 6 February, at a time convenient to the candidate. Evening or Saturday interviews may be offered for those with work commitments.
The assessment day is planned for 13 February, although there may be scope to flex this to 14 or 15 February, for an exceptional candidate.
Final interviews will take place on 20 February.
All applications will be acknowledged.
The role is to join the Policy team in ensuring the representation of industry interests to government and decision-makers European, UK, National and local level.
Responsible to the Deputy Director General and with the assistance of Policy Executives, the role will include to:
· provide secretariat to industry and Association committees (agenda, reports, minuting)
· develop expertise in industry regulatory matters
· lobby and represent members’ interests through written submissions in response to government consultations, meetings and all other forums and communications media, developing your own network of lobby contacts as experience grows.
· communicate your work to members through writing articles for BH&HPA Journal, face-to-face meetings, Branch meetings and over the phone
· provide advice to membership (by telephone, letter and email)
· proven track record within a policy or public affairs environment, ideally within a membership trade organisation
· strong analytical, presentation and numerical skills ensuring clearest communication through the written word
· flexible approach to a role requiring travel and the ability to work irregular hours when required
· good IT skills and technology aware
· networking skills, ability to establish relationships with a variety of stakeholders
· diplomatic and persuasive
· ability to work to deadlines
· knowledge and affinity with SME and microbusiness
· reliable, self-starter, confident and comfortable working without supervision
· ability to drive and full driving licence
· graduate, perhaps supported by a Masters Degree, possibly in social sciences, history or law
· knowledge and affinity with the holiday, residential and touring parks industry
· experience of providing committee secretariat (Agenda, Minutes, Reports)
BH&HPA is the trade association for residential, caravan, camping and all forms of self catering parks. We provide a wide range of membership services:
· representation to government at all levels
· publications: Journal, Handbook, members’ website at www.bhhpa.org.uk
· marketing: exhibitions, brochures, consumer website at www.ukparks.com
· meetings, seminars, conference
· commercial services
The Association was founded in 1950 and currently has an annual turnover in excess of £2 million.