The Public Relations Officer will help will take ownership and accountability for all external communications for two of our established Tui Specialist brands – Citalia, the Leading Italian Specialist & Sovereign Luxury Travel, providing luxury holidays for over 40 years. Both of these brands are part of TUI Travel’s Specialist Holidays Group (SHG).
This is a newly created and exciting role, working as part of a small team to manage these specialist brands to achieve maximum PR exposure and coverage both in the media and online, ensuring synergy across all brand communication.
Working collaboratively with the marketing, product, online and commercial teams the PR Manager will work alongside the Head of PR to ensure the PR activity supports each brands growth aspirations. Destination knowledge and understanding the individual brands continually changing needs will be key to achieving this.
The PR Officer will need the ability to work on their own initiative and be extremely comfortable writing press material and selling in new ideas to a wide range of media.
This role reports into the Head of PR and works closely with internal departments and external media.
What You'll Be Doing
- Assist in managing the busy press office to a high standard for both Citalia & Sovereign Luxury Travel, in order that external stakeholders and more specifically journalists view it as a reliable, useful and credible source of information, with all requests actioned quickly, efficiently and in an appropriate manner.
- Develop excellent media relationships with a view to driving key messages both off and online, while maintaining existing relationships.
- Act as a credible spokesperson for the brands, ensuring content and tone of voice is adapted to suit the brand and/or media.
- Day to day handling of reactive media enquiries. Ensuring all communication into the press office is actioned quickly and reflect the company’s values.
- Proposing, pitching and writing press releases on newsworthy stories and distributing to appropriate media.
- Planning and setting up press facility trips including pitching ideas to key media, logistics coordination and brand guardian. Where necessary escort media overseas.
- Work very closely with the multi-channel departments, (in particular Marketing and online to ensure synergy across the brands) and identify areas of the business needing additional promotion and awareness and implement activity as relevant.
- Evaluate and analyse press coverage.
- Manage media responses to day-to-day incidents, ensuring damage to the brands and the reputation of TUI is minimised.
- Monitor the external reputation of the respective brands and adapt style and respond to any issues accordingly.
- Work with Internal Communications to ensure that internal and external announcements and messages are aligned and fit with the company values.
- Working with the Head of PR to help plan a proactive PR strategy for Citalia & Sovereign Luxury Travel and implement an annual activity plan designed to portray both.
- Build own destination / product knowledge and understanding of the key competitors.
- Awareness of the social media needs of each of the brands and integration with the respective Social and Online Media teams.
What We're Looking For
- Experience of using a wide range of PR tools effectively to develop proactive PR campaigns (including online PR)
- Experience of working in a busy Press Office environment and of juggling business priorities with a separate media agenda.
- Previous work experience in travel PR would be advantageous.
- Ability to establish relationships with people at all levels in sometimes high pressurised situations.
- Ability to influence key stakeholders and network across both internal and external contacts.
- Strong creative writing skills with the ability to write in a range of different styles.
- A good understanding of the key issues affecting the travel and holiday industry.
- Proven media contacts – in particular, but not limited to, travel media (consumer, trade and online press) and the ability to build new contacts.
- Understanding and experience in working with a multi-channel strategy to integrate the online PR channels through PR activity.
- Seen as a credible ambassador for the brands and able to influence external audiences in an appropriate manner.
- Experience of handling incidents/issues including preparation of statements, Q&A’s, spokesperson briefings and acting as a spokesperson themselves.
- Capable of understanding the bigger picture, with an eye for detail.
- Understands the sensitive nature of some of the issues they will be involved in and an ability to be both diplomatic and discreet.
- Any Additional Relevant Information:
- The role may be required at times to work outside of normal office hours to manage potential ‘incidents’ and to travel abroad escorting media.
- Media - excellent knowledge of key players needed both off and online and ability to build new relationships
- Marketing team – shared thinking in collaboration with the integrated marketing team, to ensure that strategy is considered from all perspectives, and that activity plans are delivered as extensively as possible.
- Multi-Channel Online team – integrated approach to online marketing and PR activity including social media and SEO.
- Senior management teams – to ensure we work closely with them, delivering activity that helps them achieve their long term goals.
- Key operational contacts – to ensure incidents are managed to the best of our ability
- After Travel Care teams – to ensure issues are dealt with in a sensitive manner, befitting our brands
- Internal Communications – to ensure timely, relevant communication of key issues
For further information and to apply online please click on the "Apply Now" button
- 16 January 2013
- 31 January 2013
- Jennifer Johnson
- Travel and Tourism
- Account Executive, Account Manager, Executive (In-House), Junior Press Officer, Press Officer, Senior Account Executive, Senior Press Officer
- Press / Media Relations
- Full Time
- Contract Type