This job has now expired
The Plunkett Foundation helps rural communities through community-ownership to take control of the issues affecting them.
The focus of our work is:
- helping communities to set up and run successful community-owned shops, co-operative pubs and other forms of community-owned enterprises across the UK
- promoting and supporting community food and farming enterprises
- Advocating the ability of rural communities to take control of the issues affecting them both in the UK and internationally
Founded in 1919, the Plunkett Foundation finds the most effective ways for each generation to put into practice the values created by its founder, Sir Horace Plunkett. These are:
- We seek economic solutions to create social change
- We seek solutions that enrich rural community life
- We see self-help as the most effective way to tackle rural needs
The expectation of our staff is that they reflect the ‘can do’ spirit of Plunkett and work in collaboration with all of their colleagues.
This is a full time equivalent permanent position responsible for the effective management and delivery of the press and communications functions of the Plunkett Foundation and its associated projects.
Working with Head of Communications to effectively develop, lead and manage Plunkett Foundation press and communications plans.
Principle contact for communications and media enquiries
Stimulating demand for the Plunkett Foundation’s projects and services through effective communications and media work.
Produce and effectively distribute press releases to national, regional and local press and media
Managing the communication and dissemination of the activities of Plunkett and associated projects
Manage Plunkett websites including content, development, contracts and usage information
Managing social media activities across a developing range of social media tools including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Produce and distribute communication tools including a range of e-newsletters
Maintaining and improving media resources bank comprised of case studies, images, statistics and quotations relating to activities undertaken by the Plunkett Foundation and associated projects.
Co-ordinating activities with the wider Plunkett staff team, specifically the Frontline team
Develop strong working relationships with colleagues, partner organisations and other key internal and external stakeholders
Produce operational reports, monitoring and reviewing performance against milestones, producing financial reports and claims when required
Accurately recording all financial and project management information that will be tracked in accordance with contractual requirements of projects and funders.
Contributing to raising income for the Plunkett Foundation’s work through helping to develop bids, fund raise and identify opportunities for the development of the Plunkett Foundation.
Press and Communications Manager
- Experience of developing and managing communication and media functions
- Experience of developing high profile press and media coverage and managing PR strategies
- Experience of effectively managing budgets
- Experience of managing the content for on-line website communications
- Production of newsletters
- Experience of managing publicly funded projects
- Experience of working with professional partners (such as media and web design companies)
- Experience of managing projects for government bodies or third sector organisations
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Degree in a communications or media related subject
- Project management qualifications
- Consumer communications and/or media qualifications
- Knowledge and understanding Plunkett’s area of work (community-ownership, rural development, co-operatives, social enterprise and local food)
- Knowledge and understanding of communication or evaluation tools and practice;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of relevant current political and economic agendas as they affect local food sector, voluntary and community sector, local and rural communities
- Experience of working with the media, including preparing press releases.
- Experience of using PR tools and systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to write clearly and accessibly on complex issues for publication.
- Ability to proof read and edit copy for publication.
- Experience of undertaking or commissioning and overseeing design work.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to use own initiative and to work effectively alone and as part of a team.
- Experience of project management within a marketing, PR, publications or other communications context.
- Computer literacy and ability to be administratively self-servicing.
- Interest in and ability to quickly gain excellent understanding of issues affecting co-operatives and social enterprises, rural communities and local food
- Experience of commissioning and working with external contractors.
- Experience of delivering a range high quality communications materials, including website, reports, newsletters.
- Good experience of web based content management systems
- Good presentation skills
- Experience of PR methods.
Essential Special Requirements
- Highly mobile with the ability to be away from home and overnight on occasions