This job has now expired
PCG – The Voice of Freelancing
Head of Communications
PCG is the only cross-sector membership organisation for freelance consultants, contractors and other knowledge based workers in the UK. It is a not-for-profit company and currently boasts a membership of over 22,000. Its aim is to secure proper recognition of its members as a valuable sector of the economy and to ensure that its members needs are properly considered by Government and their clients alike.
PCG has developed an enviable market reputation in supporting its members as a result of its progressive representational work at Ministerial levels and also its constant desire to offer members valuable advice and assistance on micro-business matters in addition to the provision and facilitation of commercial value added services to members.
In setting the overall strategic direction of PCG, the Board of Directors now wish to rapidly enhance and expand the penetration of its key messages via online, press, broadcast media and digital channels.
PCG will shortly move to newly fitted state-of-the-art premises in Westminster, London a stone’s throw from St James’ Park Tube.
The salary offered will reflect the experience of the successful candidate and include benefits and bonus.
This challenging senior role, reporting directly to the CEO, has been created to ensure that PCG’s key messages both penetrate core audiences and reach a wider circulation through the development of close media contacts, digital channels, web presence and a busy events diary.
The role will include responsibility for the identification and dissemination of PCG’s key messages. Working especially closely with the Head of Public Affairs, who will be solely responsible for PCG’ lobbying activities and Government relations, these messages will be critical to PCG’s pursuit of strengthened media coverage and its resulting influence. The ability to distinguish between lobbying and campaigning and knowing when to apply each will be of paramount importance.
The Head of Communications will manage the internal and external messaging activities of PCG and also drive the growth and professionalism of our use of social media and events diary each pillar playing a key role in PCGs media and market profile.
The appointee will be expected to place PCG’s messages in the right places using the right tone and ensure those messages are understood by their target audiences. They will be expected, over time, to put PCG at the top of contact lists whenever a subject affecting contracting and freelancing is discussed, making PCG the “go to” organisation for media outlets of all types.
- Development of PCG’s house style
- Planning and development of PCG’s media relations and use of social media
- Overall co-ordination of all PCG’s communications output
- Management of PCG’s communications team
- Support the market evaluation and marketing of products and services
- Ensuring PCG’s messages and image are professional and accurate
- Development and management of PCG’s web content and vast information library
The candidate must have
- Demonstrable success in a communications and campaigns role
- Excellent existing relationships with the media especially news and business outlets
- The ability to distil simple messages for complex subjects
- The ability to differentiate between lobbying and campaigning and deliver both
- An awareness of and interest in current affairs and politics
- An understanding of the contract/freelance business model and mindset
- Excellent knowledge of and experience in the use of social media
- Proven track record of successfully developing media presence and access
- Proven track record of successfully managing communication and PR teams
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- MS Office skills including PowerPoint
The candidate should have
- Strong experience in event planning and delivery
- Experience as an interim or contractor
- Knowledge of how membership organisations operate
- Experience of SEO
The candidate will be
- A confident self-starter
- A professional manager
- Keen to develop their team
- Expected to hit the ground running