This job has now expired
As an Account Executive (Planning) you will be a key member of the PLMR team providing high quality servicing to clients. As a member of the Planning Team, you will play a vital role in carrying out day to day work on the company’s planning accounts and supporting the Head of Planning to secure new business. You will have a sound understanding of how local government works, including the roles played by County, District/Borough and Parish Councils in local decision taking, with specific reference to the planning process.
You will understand the role that the Department for Communities and Local Government plays in setting national planning policy. You will have great written and verbal communication skills, be highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative. You will have a broader interest in public relations (PR), in how messages are best shaped and communicated across both old and new media, in public affairs (PA) and in the UK political landscape.
In this role you will carry out a range of activities for existing clients and for new business pitching. Daily activities will include researching and identifying community and political stakeholders for ongoing client projects, drafting correspondence, briefing documents and press releases, monitoring relevant media, liaising with the media on behalf of clients, attending client meetings and contributing ideas to enable PLMR to meet and beat client expectations at every level.
You will gain experience of organising and running community consultation programmes, including a variety of stakeholder engagement processes such as public exhibitions, committee presentations and briefing sessions.You will play a proactive role with the Head of Planning in researching and generating new business leads, following up on opportunities and converting them into client wins. On occasion you will support colleagues on other PLMR accounts, including on broader PR and public affairs projects.
• liaising on a daily basis with clients, often via telephone and email
• collating, analysing and evaluating media coverage
• having a clear understanding of the planning process, at both a local and national level, and – with senior support – advising clients on consultation strategies
• preparing regular client reports and attending client meetings
• when necessary, travel to planning and development control committee meetings in and outside of London, including outside of normal working hours
• drafting newsletters, briefings, campaign materials and press releases
• researching, writing and distributing press releases to targeted media
• working as part of an account team to develop client proposals and implement the planning communications activity – ensuring we are always ‘adding value’ to our clients
• providing regular timely updates on client issues to senior colleagues
• scheduling, organising and hosting public consultation activities, including exhibitions outside of normal working hours
• attending and promoting client events to the media
• assisting with the PR aspects of a possible crisis situation
• responding to requests for information from clients which may be at short notice
• attending relevant sector events – seminars, roundtables, conferences – on behalf of PLMR
• establishing and maintaining two way communication with relevant official bodies: with politicians, civil servants, and/or staff in local authorities and relevant third party groups to brief them on clients' work and concerns
• using social media to promote the work of PLMR
• providing regular copy for the PLMR website, with a particular focus on planning - blogging, case studies, features, comment
• promoting a positive, professional image of PLMR as a market leader to external audiences through networking and representing the company at events
• providing updates on new business leads for the planning team, regularly to the Head of Planning and members of the Executive Committee – e.g. written notes from events or seminars, follow up emails to contacts made
• relationship building and networking with colleagues, clients and the media
• undertaking research for new business proposals, drafting the new business proposal documents and assisting presenting to potential new clients
• drafting new business proposals of the highest standard to win new business
• assisting senior colleagues in achieving the business plan as required
• completing accurate daily timesheets and saving them on the shared drive
• providing information for invoicing and cost recharging to the finance department in a timely manner as requested
• developing a positive professional relationship with PLMR colleagues, and contributing to a thriving day to day working environment
• meeting internal deadlines - being organised and punctual
• developing a personal professional reputation as a reliable, competent consultant
• maintaining a strong interest in current affairs, in particular those that relate to planning
• acquiring new communications and public affairs skills and learning about parliamentary, regulatory and
• identifying training requirements and booking and attending relevant training courses
Skills / attributes required
• educated to degree standard
• excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to conceptualise, analyse and write
• highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative
• a can-do attitude and a passion for achieving results
• active in the social media networking sphere
• experience of planning lobbying or planning consultancy desirable but not necessary
Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Read more about PLMR Ltd on our website: www.plmr.co.uk
To apply for this role, please download the application form attached and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
You are required to submit an additional application form when applying for this job. Please download the form below (or from the top of the page) and complete it before applying for this job.
Have the completed form ready on your computer to attach to your application. Click 'Apply now' and that's it.