This job has now expired
Public Policy & Knowledge Specialist - London SE1
£32-35K + benefits
The Institute of Customer Service is a unique organisation. As an independent, not for profit membership body and the authoritative voice of customer service, we believe that customer service is the key difference between business success and failure. Working with top clients such as Marks & Spencer, Mercedes and E.ON, we provide a catalyst for all those organisations aspiring to deliver world-class service.
As an employer, we combine a commercial and competitive ethos with the atmosphere of a small company that is closely connected to its customer base. This is a very exciting time for us, and this role offers a superb development opportunity for someone who has a passion for both politics and business and is looking to expand their horizons and build on their experience.
This new role operates at the heart of the Institute as our policy and knowledge expert, ensuring we are positioned as the authoritative voice on public policy issues related to customer service.
Key duties are to:
- Work directly with the CEO and Directors, key government departments and agencies, research organisations and businesses
- Keep abreast of public policy issues and carry out environmental scanning
- Create insight, briefings, policy messaging and positioning statements
- Establish and maintain relationships with a wide network of key influencers
- Support an all-party parliamentary group
- Oversee a programme of events and CEO briefings
- Manage the Institute’s public affairs agency
- Support the Institute's internal knowledge hub.
To operate at this level, candidates must have:
- Sound knowledge of UK and EU political institutions and public policy issues
- A natural interest and curiosity about the interface between politics and business
- A talent for practical research and assimilating diverse material
- Writing skills to create engaging marketing copy as well as more in-depth briefings
- Excellent organisational skills and be used to working to deadlines
- Good attention to detail and used to having work scrutinised at senior level
- Effective at communicating with a wide range of people across the political spectrum
- At least 2 years’ experience of:
- Working on public policy monitoring with a business focus
- Creating insight and briefings for an organisation
- Working with a wide range of key stakeholders
- Supporting committees and running an events programme (desirable not essential).
- Degree in relevant discipline (e.g. social science, social policy, politics, PPE, public policy, economics, demographics) - desirable
The role is based at the Institute’s offices near Tower Bridge and there is occasional UK travel.
We offer a salary of £32,000 to £35,000 pa depending on experience. Other benefits include 25 days’ holiday, performance-related pay, life assurance, sick pay, season ticket loan, and employee discount scheme.
Closing date: 5.00 pm on Friday 26th July 2013. Interviews will be ongoing. Please supply a covering letter (maximum 500 words) with your CV.