This job has now expired
London & Partners is the official promotional organisation for London. Our company attracts and delivers value to overseas business, event organisers, students and visitors. London & Partners is a not-for-profit public private partnership, funded by the Mayor of London and our network of commercial partners.
Our company focuses on maximising opportunities for the capital as a place for overseas businesses to set up and grow, event organisers to host events, for students to study and visitors to visit. Our vision is that London will be recognised globally as the best big city on earth, and our mission is to passionately champion London’s excellence with one confident voice to businesses, event organisers, students and visitors. We also aim to position London & Partners as the experts you need to work with when looking to set up business, host an event or put on a major sporting or cultural event.
Our values as an organisation are to be ambitious – with a passion to succeed and thrive, to be high performing – with a commitment to achieve outstanding results, to be collaborative – with an ethos that fosters partnership and cooperation and to be creative – with a love of ingenuity and innovation.
The Media and PR Manager, Business Tourism, Events and Conferences provides media and PR global coverage for the Business tourism market for London.. This should all contribute to building London’s reputation as a great place to hold a major event, conference or business meeting and ensure London and Partners gets as much credit as possible for activity.
The post holder will also enhance London & Partner’s reputation as an innovative, insightful and desirable strategic and commercial partner amongst London stakeholders and partners.
broadcast media channels. (S)He will also develop strategic relationships with key journalists and broadcasters.
(S)He will work closely with our Business Tourism, Events and Conferences team, audience insight team, Brand team, GLA and other stakeholders as appropriate to ensure a joined up and coherent strategy in terms of generating international coverage.
The post holder will also be responsible for:
- Working with other members of the communications team to drive the strategy forward;
- Allocating and managing budgets, delivering good value for money and identifying benefits in kind.
- Working on other projects outside the business tourism area as the business requires.
Finally, (s)he will be responsible for issues and crisis management, including creating statements, briefing documents and being the company’s media spokesperson in the business tourism area.
- Head of Media and PR
- Business Tourism, Events and Conferences Team
- Commercial partners
- Audience Insight team
- Variety of external stakeholder relations, including the GLA press office, Wembley, Olmpia, Excel , ISES, ICCA, LLDC, London Boroughs
- National and international journalists and broadcasters
- External agencies
Duties & responsibilities
- Work closely with Head of Media and PR and other colleagues and stakeholders to deliver the communications strategy for events and business tourism.
- Deliver pro-active communications to promote London as a destination for business tourism. Form themes and strong story ideas for media
- Secure excellent trade coverage, national and international media coverage
- Manage and lead reactive and crisis management communications in the area of business tourism.
- Lead on joint communications issues with stakeholders such as the Mayor’s Office
- Proactively manage relationships with relevant domestic and international media
- Build up and maintain media contacts
- Write press releases and sell into media
- Manage budgets and take responsibility for evaluating media coverage to achieve relevant targets
- Representing the London & Partners communications team to appropriate commercial partners
- Act as on call duty manager for press calls (when on rota)
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree or equivalent level education
- Journalist or Pr manager with track record of success
- Knowledge of Events and Business Tourism
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Extensive news management and crisis communications skills
- Excellent news sense; ability to identify news-worthy stories (particularly for business/financial/economic sector)
- Good media contacts and in-depth knowledge of international media (particularly in key markets; with local expertise)
- High level negotiating and influencing skills including ability to successfully influence very senior individuals internally and externally
- Highly developed understanding and experience of working with diverse stakeholders across the public and private sectors
- Demonstrated ability in budget and resource management
Personal style and behaviour
- Strategic thinker
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills and behaviours
- Self-driven and results oriented with a positive outlook and clear focus on high quality outcomes
- Effective and persuasive communicator
- Collaborative outlook and highly credible with business and other stakeholders
- Articulate, dynamic and enthusiastic
- Creative thinker who keeps abreast of industry news and innovations