Account Director/Senior Account Director
The Octopus Group (www.weaoctopusgroup.net) is a collaboration of award winning PR and marketing agencies with common ownership and shared values. We are comprised of four distinct brands; Octopus Communications (professional services and IT), Rocket Communications (specialist technology agency), Union Street (consumer) and Loudhouse (research and influencer marketing).
We integrate research, PR and marketing to make a difference. Dedicated teams, one goal, one culture. Our mantra is to put innovation at the heart of everything we do, to challenge the ‘norms’ and to be proudly unique. We want to work for businesses where cutting edge tech is at the heart of everything they do and deliver for their customers. We combine a real hard working attitude with an obsession with the future.
We have an open, entrepreneurial culture where energy, enthusiasm, teamwork and a hunger to succeed are all key. We celebrate our hard work all year round, whether it’s the summer festival Roctostock, impromptu Friday drinks across the road or the cake club to name a few.
The Account Director’s primary responsibility is to service the team’s clients. Additionally, you will assist in identifying and driving organic and new business activity across the team. This is an opportunity to deliver integrated campaigns to our clients. You will have full responsibility for a portfolio of diverse clients and a strong team. You will be responsible for developing the client portfolio revenue and developing skills and expertise within the team.
Key responsibilities will include
- Drive the creative and strategic process and client handling of the accounts that you are responsible for, as well as directing the team’s implementation of work
- To gain a full understanding of every client’s business, industry and competitors and actively use this knowledge to add value and create new commercial opportunities
- Work with colleagues across the Group sharing ideas to contribute to deliver the new Octopus Group 5-year vision
- Support new business efforts and drive organic growth by successfully converting new business proposals into revenue including drafting proposals, budgets and timelines for projects and new business
- Identify opportunities to cross-sell Octopus Group integrated services (social media, content marketing, research, influencer relations, internal comms etc) where appropriate
- Contribute to writing and media relations work with national, regional, trade, consumer and broadcast media
- Cement client relationship as a trusted advisor, providing senior counsel, ensuring client accounts remain profitable
- Proactively bring new relationships with the media, key opinion leaders, professional associations, online influencers and other relevant third-parties into the agency
- Direct and manage the Account Management Team to ensure they achieve their objectives and receive all appropriate training and development.
- In liaison with the Account Manager, manage the client accounts, ensuring work is completed within agreed budgets and additional spend is agreed for work outside of existing remit
- Be an ambassador for the agency across all touch-points
- At least 7 years’ PR agency experience managing B2B technology clients
- Exposure to and appreciation of the broader communications landscape – digital, direct, integrated, trying new things, experimenting but also sticking to what works when it makes sense
- Understanding of digital marketing practices, social media, search, planning and creative
- Proven ability in media relations, including creating and driving outreach plans, message development, management of events, effective pitching and training of spokespeople
- Ability to advise on issues and identify opportunities for positive and proactive engagement
- Excellent media skills – a strong understanding of the media, editorial requirements and what ‘makes’ a story
- A wide network of national technology and business as well as regional contacts across a broad spectrum of media
- Forward thinking – challenges self, team and client to think beyond today’s solutions
- Have passion, a sense of humour and a can-do attitude at all times
- A proven ability to manage others and work collaboratively with peers to drive operational effectiveness and client experience
- Thrives in an environment of flexibility, change and pressure
- Hungry to make a mark for themselves in the industry and inspire those around them
- Demonstrate a strategic, consultative and analytical approach to service delivery
- Enthusiastic and motivated self-starter with strong leadership skills
- Superior people and communication skills, both verbal and written
You will report directly to an Associate Director. You will manage one Account Manager, one Senior Account Executive and 2 Junior Account Executives.
We’re a Windsor-based company, with offices in London. This position will be based out of our Windsor offices with some scope to be based out of our London offices 2-3 days per week. On occasion you will be required to travel to client’s office and events.