This job has now expired
RCUK Press and Communications Manager
Swindon – 9 months fixed term (Maternity Cover)
Research Councils UK (RCUK) is the strategic partnership of the seven Research Councils. RCUK exists to help the Research Councils to work together more effectively to achieve their individual and collective goals. The partnership is led by the RCUK Executive Group which comprises the seven Chief Executives of the Research Councils. The RCUK partnership is supported by the RCUK Strategy Unit, which is hosted by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
The RCUK Strategy Unit supports policy development in key areas of cross-council working, as well as providing expert support for cross-council working on Communications, International collaboration, Public Engagement, and Research Careers and Diversity.
About the Role:
The purpose of the post is to promote the role of RCUK itself and its key policies, strategies and messages, and to promote the outcomes of the research and research related activities that Councils support. The Press and Communications Manager is responsible for implementing the media-related aspects of RCUK’s communications strategy, including acting as the primary point of contact for RCUK press relations and acting as a media spokesperson from RCUK when necessary. The post holder will also have a broader role in relation to the delivery of activities to implement the RCUK Communications strategy.
To join us, you’ll need:
- Demonstrable experience of managing media activities, including media activities where there have been reputational sensitiviesPhD or equivalent in Physics or a related subject
- Experience of working with a range of internal and external stakeholders, including senior individuals
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Sound project management skills, including the ability to work flexibility, and to plan, manage and deliver a portfolio of projects and activities with different timescales, priorities, and delivery mechanisms
- Excellent planning, organisational, analytical and time management skills
This role is an excellent opportunity to:
- Be an integral part of this high profile team
- Working with the RCUK Head of Communications; contribute to the development and implementation of the RCUK Communications Strategy
- Develop strong relationships with press officers across government
As well as a competitive salary, an excellent index linked pension scheme, generous leave allowance and flexible working hours are also offered.
Applications are handled by the RCUK Shared Services Centre; for further information and to apply please visit our website by clicking apply.
If you are unable to apply online please contact us on 01793 867000 quoting reference number IRC116353. Closing date: 18th November 2013