This job has now expired
PR & Communications Officer
Reporting to: Assistant Director
Remuneration: iro £27,000 pa. Full time contract.
Location: Southwark, London
Closing date: Feb 28th
CALM, the campaign against living miserably, is a charity dedicated to preventing male suicide in the UK, which accounts for around 77% of all suicides.
The PR & Comms Officer is responsible for the reputation of CALM, helping the organisation achieve its strategic goals by promoting its projects, with a core focus on raising awareness of the charity, the service it provides and its campaign messages. This includes proactive and reactive print, broadcast and online media liaison, managing CALM’s official social media channels and working on large integrated brand campaigns. This role would perfectly suit someone who thrives in a busy working environment, with the ability to be flexible in managing workloads, a willingness to work independently, yet fully integrate within a small team, and someone with the ability to show initiative and creativity in overcoming resource constraints. The issues CALM deals with can be emotionally distressing. Supervision sessions with a trained counsellor are provided to staff, but please keep this in mind when considering applying for this position.
To raise public awareness of the issue of male suicide and stimulate debate amongst opinion formers and the general public.
To ensure that all communications activity is consistent with, and supportive of, CALM's strategic objectives
To develop, manage and implement integrated communications plans and creative communications campaigns to ensure relevant media opportunities are fully maximized for the charity.
To sustain productive relations with media contacts, ensuring positive and collaborative relationships are maintained across all relevant titles and channels.
To maximise proactive and reactive opportunities to promote CALM's cause and establish CALM as the 'go-to' organisation for comment on all relevant and important issues relating to the charity’s main areas of activity
To develop the annual communications plan and to maintain and advance this on an on-going basis in order to secure maximum exposure and cut-through for the charity, and manage communications implementation and execution across press, digital and events.
To advise colleagues, including volunteers, on communications and media guidance where necessary.
To manage external and internal communication and consultation strategies, acting as the point of expertise for media, public relations, campaigns, publications, web and social media, and point of expertise for internal staff.
- To manage and advise on CALM’s communication and outward facing policy messaging.
- To be aware of the national news agenda regarding male suicide, mental health and male issues, to identify opportunities and/or bringing issues to the attention of the CALM staff and Trustees as appropriate and ensure the charity responds rapidly to relevant opportunities; both by proactively selling-in features and providing fast, accurate response to print, broadcast and online media enquiries, including out of hours.
- To advise and brief other staff and volunteers on press releases and undertaking media interviews in order to provide professional support.
- To write, co-ordinate and issue media releases and statements, briefing materials and features.
- To run regular editorial meetings and co-ordinate the charity's communications output across different digital platforms and channels including producing CALM’s regular supporter emails.
- To manage the official social media channels, to develop the digital presence of CALM in order to deliver engaging content and creative campaigns to support media and communications activity.
- To develop and maintain a strong network of media contacts, journalists, bloggers & writers ensuring contacts are kept up-to date in a central database.
- To manage, support and develop CALM’s Ambassadors and spokespeople.
- To maximise the value of CALM’s current media partnerships by proactively developing relationships with relevant media outlets, and work towards forging new productive media partnerships.
- To supervise and be responsible for up-to-date media monitoring and archive, evaluating media coverage and PR activity for internal and external reports or for project evaluations.
- To maximize the PR & Comms budget in line with available financial and pro bono resources.
Please download an application form, full job description and further info about CALM, and email with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to:
PO Box 68766
How to apply
You are required to submit an additional application form when applying for this job. Please download the form below (or from the top of the page) and complete it before applying for this job.
Have the completed form ready on your computer to attach to your application. Click 'Apply now' and that's it.