PR Manager - Energy
One of the world’s leading design and engineering consultancies is seeking a PR Manager to join its growing Energy business. Reporting into the Head Communications for Energy, you will be part of a team of five and support our regional offices in the Middle East, North America, Australia as well as the UK to help raise the profile of the company. This is an exciting, challenging and dynamic role requiring candidates with a 'can do' attitude, tenacity and ideally a desire to be part of solving the world’s energy challenges.
A FTSE 250 Company with a turnover of approx £1.4bn, the Atkins Group employs 17,700 people and works on the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects in the world. Our energy business employs over 1500 experts across our international hubs working in the renewables, oil and gas, nuclear and power sectors. Our work includes the world’s largest nuclear fusion research project, ITER, in Cadarache, South of France; support to the UK’s current nuclear generation fleet as well as the new build programme; over 40 years safely extending the operational life of critical oil and gas platforms in the North Sea and Gulf of Mexico and a portfolio of projects in offshore wind that make us one of the leading structural designers in the UK’s offshore wind sector.
Where the role fits
As a new role in the Energy communications team, your remit is to deliver the worldwide public relations element of the Energy communications plan. You will deliver proactive, creative, appropriate public relations activities for Energy which support the overall Energy strategy and demonstrate a best practice approach using traditional and digital media. You will work with colleagues in both the Energy and Group communications team and in our regional communications teams to deliver integrated communications campaigns.
Purpose & Responsibilities
To ensure Energy protects and promotes its external reputation in the UK & Europe, Middle East, North America and Asia Pacific by:
- Establishing and delivering an effective public relations programme
- Ensuring effective external communication of company news and successes
- Promoting and preparing Energy spokespeople
- Providing editorial content for Atkins’ external communications channels and industry media especially technical content to evidence our technical excellence
- Supporting Energy M&A activity by developing appropriate public relations plans
- Issues monitoring and management, reactive and proactive media relations
- Monitoring and collating press coverage
- Building relationships with editors/journalists and client communications teams
- Maintaining Energy’s crisis communications plan and ensuring colleagues are appropriately trained.
You will be an experienced PR practitioner who has a proven track record of handling public relations assignments for either a FTSE 250 company or an international organisation.
To be considered for this role you must have:
- Experience of working with the trade press, national and international media
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills; ability to write compelling news releases and articles for publication
- The ability to liaise with senior management and technical experts to take complex subjects and convert these into interesting story ideas that can be sold into the media
- Proven experience of issues management and driving proactive public relations campaigns for a large corporate organisation
- A good sense of business acumen and interest in current affairs
- Have a tolerance for organisational complexity and be a very strong team player
- Be comfortable working with and influencing people at all levels in the organisation and from different nationalities and cultures
- Have strategic vision and creativity matched with a hands-on tactical approach
- Excellent judgment, discretion and high ethical standards
- Have an ability to organise/prioritise many concurrent tasks, maintaining keen attention to detail and follow-through
- Credible experience in the engineering and/or energy sector an advantage
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package
- Travel to other company sites may be necessary
- The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers from outside the EEA coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the EEA (who require a Tier 2 (General) visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that there are no other suitable candidates for this vacancy from inside the EEA.