An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Communications Manager to assist the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) and Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner (DPCC) in developing and delivering the local link between communities and the police, giving a voice to local people and businesses.
We are seeking a talented communications specialist who can manage and co-ordinate the full range of communications planning and delivery services. You will work effectively with colleagues across the police service, and with other stakeholders and partners, to determine appropriate objectives for the Commissioner and produce and deliver a targeted and cost-effective activity plan, utilising a range of appropriate channels and techniques.
What you will do (but not limited to)
- Manage the Communications and Public Engagement team to ensure the proactive building and management of the Commissioner’s stakeholder database, to ensure that communications are targeted at the appropriate audiences.
- Manage the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) news desk on a day-to-day basis, liaising with North Yorkshire Police media colleagues where necessary, acting as the first point of contact for all incoming media enquiries and dealing with these efficiently and professionally.
- Devise, implement and project manage a rolling programme of proactive campaigns to raise awareness and maximise opportunities for engagement, working with internal and external stakeholders and partners as required.
- Build effective relationships with stakeholders internally and externally, including establishing trust, providing a proactive customer-focused service, problem-solving and managing expectations.
- Working closely with the Digital Engagement Officer, maintain the channels through which the Commissioner consults and communicates with the public (e.g. website, social media accounts, newsletter, media relations) on a day-to-day basis, and to gather public opinion.
- Support the management of the probity and good governance of the OPCC by proactively assessing risks in relation to communications activity, and advising/raising potential risks with the other senior officers in the OPCC and other appropriate colleagues.
What you will bring
- Experience of copywriting for on and offline media, briefings, presentations and reports. In particular, you should have the ability to produce clear and concise messages from detailed and often complex background material.
- Experience of working in a fast-paced communications function, either for a person in public office, agency or in-house, with responsibility for the planning, delivery and evaluation of a broad range of marketing communications activity (to include media relations, social media and printed collateral as a minimum)
- Demonstrable experience in managing communications projects end-to-end including management of resources, including financial budgets.
- Experience in the consistent application and enforcement of brand identity.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and manage competing priorities effectively and efficiently.
- In-depth experience of regional print and broadcast media relations.
- Experience of managing people.
- Degree or equivalent vocational qualification in journalism, public affairs or relevant subject area
How to apply
To apply for this position, please visit the North Yorkshire Police website via the 'Visit Website' button provided.
Please complete the online application no later than 09:00 Monday 16th January 2017.