Senior Government Communicator
6 days left
- Contract Type
Civil Service Resourcing
Senior Government Communicator
£35,273 - £47,639
We’re creating a first class communications profession in Government to improve awareness of, and engagement with some of the most important issues in our society.
Chances are, the Government Communication Service (GCS) is behind many of the stories you read, retweet and blog about. We help build the economy, protect the vulnerable, promote Britain in the world and ensure the public understand the government’s priorities. We reach key audiences such as families, young people, older people, businesses and international groups.
Our work and campaigns have showcased what the UK has to offer at home and abroad - and have made a tangible impact on the lives of our people.
For example, 2 million people have so far downloaded the Change4Life Sugar Smart app and 81% have said they’ve reduced their children’s intake of sugar as a result. The #GetInGoFar website spread the word on the benefits of apprenticeships to a record 1.5 million visitors. From reaching out to businesses to encouraging people to lead healthy, safe lives, this is a place where you can make a difference.
We’re looking for capable, motivated, and creative professionals to join us. This is a unique opportunity to lead a team or portfolio, taking on some of the biggest social, economic, political and security challenges facing the UK today. You will have responsibility from day one and the opportunity to influence key leaders across government.
This is an exciting time to be joining government communications. You will be working on high profiles campaigns and policy areas, and will have the opportunity to work in both large-scale government departments and operational organisations, which advise, regulate and deliver the public agenda.
What are we looking for?
A track record delivering multi-disciplinary communications solutions in support of an organisation, you’ll have the ability to adapt a broad communications skillset, with in-depth expertise in a particular discipline. You will feel confident leading others, growing capability and prioritising a busy workload. Your expertise could lie in one or more of these areas -
- Media and press management – leading on both reactive and proactive integrated media campaigns that build on insight and support public awareness
- Campaigns and marketing – using public relations, key partnerships and advertising to tackle major social and environment challenges
- Digital communications – understanding of innovative digital communication strategies, drawing on knowledge of emerging trends in digital services
- Internal communications – understanding organisational strategy and internal audiences to target communications effectively, improving employee engagement and maximising performance.
With the support of an experienced network of peers and a strong focus on professional development, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career – whether it’s in a particular specialism or more broadly. You will have access to a comprehensive professional training programme, with the opportunity to build your leadership skills and contribute at a corporate level to a network of like-minded colleagues.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and value applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Successful candidates are likely to:
- Have experience in one or more communications specialisms
- Be adaptable across a breadth of communications skills and organisations
- Be able to lead a team or a portfolio of work, using strong judgement and effective prioritisation
- Have a strong understanding of issues impacting the government today
- Have used the latest models of digital communication
- Be committed to personal development, and the development of a team
- Work well under pressure and to tight deadlines– with an ability to adapt swiftly to changing circumstances.
To discover more and apply, please click on the 'Apply' button below.
Closing Date: Sunday 26th February 2017