Main functions of job (Note: In addition to these functions, the post holder will be required to carry out other duties as may reasonably be required)
The External Affairs team at the BBA is made up of twelve people and headed by the Executive Director of External Affairs. It is a small but extremely experienced, friendly and high performing team where all team members are expected to be flexible and nimble in supporting other parts of the team when needed. The press team is made up of three people – The Director of Media Relations, the Senior Press Officer and the Press Officer. The post holder will therefore have plenty of opportunities to learn beyond their brief, keeping the role varied and interesting and with the opportunity to be exposed to senior members within the banking industry.
The main duties and responsibilities of Press Officer are:
The Press Officer’s prime function is to provide support to the BBA’s Media Relations team (part of the External Affairs Team - in particular supporting the Director of Media Relations and the Senior Press Officer - in responding to daily press queries during working hours (and out of hours according to an off duty rota); monitoring banking news developments online and social media throughout the day (ensuring the team is always aware of the latest developments); spotting opportunities to proactively and creatively get the BBA in the news according to our three strategic priorities (helping consumers, supporting growth and raising standards); maintaining relationships with key journalists and building new ones; in particular leading on trade and consumer press; helping to manage the planning grid; leading on all social media activity and helping promote the activities of the commercial arm of the BBA .
- Support the Media Relations team in answering calls from the media, crafting and disseminating reactive lines on issues of the day, drafting press releases and helping to devise media plans, arranging media bids on reactive and proactive stories, monitoring news and social media throughout the day, taking a lead on digital communications and pushing our content out via social media
- Lead on all trade and consumer media stories
- Maintain and update proactive planning grids
- Administration of BBA media success stories which help demonstrate team value internally and externally, such as regularly collating online, print and media coverage.
- Creatively seeking proactive media opportunities to promote the BBA and its work.
- Provide out of hours media service as part of a rota system.
- Provide backup support for the production of the daily BBA brief, our in-house roundup of all the topical daily banking news, which is pulled together every morning by the Senior Press Officer. The press officer will have occasional responsibility for producing the daily brief, with the support of the Director of Media relations, when the SPO is on leave (or unable to do it)
- Leading on all social media activity for the BBA and monitoring social media channels for BBA issues.
- Responsibility for maintaining website content and ensuring that it is always up to date and engaging
- Preparing BBA content calendar for Twitter, LinkedIn and BBA Voice, the BBA’s policy blog.
- Ensuring editorial standards are met and maintained in print and online.
- Providing editorial support in the creation, publication, proofing and distribution of all BBA external communications.
- Work proactively and collaboratively with BBA Enterprises to ensure our publications are of the highest quality and to ensure our externally produced events and conferences are well publicised and supported in national press, trade media and social media.
Education and Experience
- Degree or equivalent
- Evidence of experience working in an environment where producing written content to high quality was essential
- Having worked in a busy press office and proof of having landed proactive stories in the media
- Knowledge of Financial service sector is desirable
Knowledge / skills required
- Management of:
- Print/ online publications
- Publication and print scheduling
- Knowledge of:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Editing/ Sub-editing
- Digitally literate – especially on social media operation and monitoring tools
- Adobe Creative Suite (Desirable)
- Financial services (Desirable)
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and numerate
- Proactive and a ‘can do’ attitude
- A cool head when things get busy
- Excellent time management and an ability to prioritise
- Attention to detail and reliable, delivering on deadlines
- Good judgement and attuned to personal and political sensitivities
- Ability to get on with people at all levels and build trusted relationships (journalists, members and colleagues)
- Ability to manage relationships with external contractors
- Confident and outgoing
- Resilient and flexible, willing to work longer hours when necessary and help the team out with extra duties when needed
Please send your CV and a covering letter in support of your application. In your covering letter please also advise on your current salary/salary expectations and your notice period.