PR & Communications Manager
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-starting PR and communications superstar to join a fast-growing startup with a big social mission.
Spacehive is a crowdfunding platform for projects that make local places better. It empowers people to directly shape their towns and cities by creating everything from hanging gardens on old railway lines, to bustling markets, or spruced up playgrounds.
Not only can people now efficiently and transparently fund change in their local area, we partner with the public and private sector to bring financial clout to our projects, opening up millions in funding from the likes of The Mayor of London, local authorities up and down the country, and companies like Airbnb.
We’ve spent 5 years designing a model that works: mechanically, culturally, politically. During that time, 370 projects worth £8m have already been delivered and there are £21m more in the pipeline.
Now we’re ready to scale fast – nationally, then internationally. Our vision is to become the platform that people, businesses and government use to transform the fabric of communities, globally.
We’re looking for a talented PR & Communications Manager to join our Partnerships team, which is responsible for building our marketplace. You’ll work at the front line of our growth, helping Britain’s most dynamic cities, brands and foundations embrace civic crowdfunding.
For example, we work in partnership with the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, to empower Londoners to create projects ranging from transforming a railway line into a park, to starting a new street market led by young people.
You’ll work directly with these leading organisations – as wall as hundreds of inspiring community change-makers to tell the story of how Britain is embracing a radical new way of doing things.
We’re looking for someone who is relentlessly tenacious and creative – always on the look out for new ways to raise the profile of our work.
Just the third member of what will grow to become a large, multi-skilled team, this is a prominent role where you will have the opportunity to make a real impact in the company.
If you have a hunger to drive best-in-class storytelling for a fast growing startup with an ambitious social mission, this is the job for you.
What you’ll be doing:
You’ll design and execute PR plans aimed at maximising the profile of our partnerships in the local and national media.
This will involve generating substantial traditional and social media coverage around the initiatives we deliver with our partners – from launch events, to celebrating new projects funded, to profiling new brands and cities that get involved, drafting quotes or ghost writing op-eds for Mayors, or supporting research papers that highlight new cultural and policy trends.
You’ll organise events and stunts; turn speaking opportunities into reality, or think of new ways we can make the media and public aware of what we do.
You’ll pro-actively deal with inbound media interest and follow up with relevant spokespeople to ensure a smooth process from start to finish.
You’ll create and manage various newsletters, email lists and campaigns.
You will also help to promote the company generally from time to time.
- Creative mind, adept at finding the news hook and bringing out the story.
- Proven track record in making things happen – delivering results quickly and efficiently.
- Substantial black book, with a diverse mix of useful contacts that will help you hit the ground running, and a hunger to grow it fast.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to curate intelligent press releases and media pitches in tight time-frames. Journalism experience is a plus.
- Great communication skills with a passion for building strong relationships.
- Up to date with relevant trends surrounding our work.
- Personable, self-starter, full of energy and a great work ethic.
- Minimum of 4-5 years PR experience – you are currently at a PR agency or a Communications Manager/ Senior Press Officer in house.
- Bonus points for having a background in public affairs, which could help you work with senior public sector leaders and fight the occasional fire.
- Basic Photoshop skills in order to create marketing material.
- Willingness to travel regularly around the UK.
- Passionate and strong understanding of our business mission.
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Free drinks on Fridays
- Free cultural programme: inspiring talks, music, yoga etc
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your CV
- Brief cover note
- Bonus points if you include a draft press release about a story you’ve found on Spacehive. We want to see that you can spot and tell an attention-grabbing story.