Account Director/Associate Partner
The key role of the AD is to run a portfolio of client accounts, overseeing the delivery and leading the strategic thinking; to be a major part of identifying and converting new business.
Key tasks will include:
- Take a brief from a client/prospect, identify their objectives and then design a political, community and media strategy to achieve those objectives.
- Draft fee proposals that define a programme of activity, ensuring that value for money is delivered to the client, profitability is maintained for the company and a successful outcome is achieved.
- Manage the implementation of projects to deadlines and budgets in order to win planning permission for clients.
- Oversee day-to-day budget management, including monitoring of over/under-servicing, and monthly billing for client work. Help to maintain an accurate forecast and have an understanding of management accounts.
- Take responsibility for a portfolio of projects and the team working on them, ensuring that a high quality of service is maintained. Continually review projects, including with the client, and make changes where required in order to maintain the best prospects of achieving objectives.
- Provide strategic thinking on all projects and be prepared to lead on day-to-day client servicing when required, able to act upon client requests and to give robust advice with confidence.
- Initiate regular client reviews to ensure that the work being delivered is to clients’ expectations.
- Be a calm influence that exudes confidence in even the trickiest of situations.
- Have a keen understanding of planning trends and be an authoritative source of information on national/local government policy as it impacts your clients
- Maintain good relationships with clients, identifying opportunities to grow business not just for your team but across the wider agency
- Delegate tasks amongst the team in the most appropriate fashion in order to deliver projects and develop the skills of the team
- Understand the team’s ambitions and motivations to help them develop their skills and careers. Ensure that mentoring is in place across the team.
- Take an active role in recruitment and conduct staff performance appraisals, set objectives and monitor performance
- Liaise with Associate Directors, Directors and other Account Directors to ensure work and resources are appropriately distributed
- Ability to draft and distribute press releases to targeted media
- Read relevant trade press
- Identify story opportunities for clients, and flag these to the client with recommendations
- Understand different methods of media, including online and social
- Work, both individually and with the wider team, to identify new business opportunities and devise and implement strategies/campaigns to target potential clients
- Draft and deliver presentations for new business using PowerPoint and other mediums
- Cross-sell services, where relevant, to clients with the aim of growing the scope of work and the fee and demonstrating the integrated nature of Newgate’s service and offering
- Engage in networking to develop contacts and identify opportunities
- Identify areas for development and actively seek opportunities to learn and grow in the role.
- Manage the work of Consultants and Associates on the relevant account teams
- Mentor Consultants and Associates, flagging any work issues or problems with your senior team members
- Contribute to thought leadership, including blogs, speaking at conferences, etc.
SOCIAL & DIGITAL MEDIA
- Demonstrate an awareness of key social media platforms and how they can be used for consultation and engagement
- Advise clients and prospects on best practice when using social media