Head of External Communications, Office of the public Guardian (Ministry of Justice)
Head of External Communications, Office of the Public Guardian (Ministry of Justice)
You will lead the External Communications Team, which provides OPG with advice on external communications strategies to help deliver OPG’s priorities. You will lead the delivery of the OPG external communications strategy, encompassing campaigns, external affairs and social media.. You will advise staff at all levels of external communications handling and advice on external communication channels. Your team will also work closely with the MoJ Press Office to ensure the OPG is represented fairly in all media coverage. This role is varied and challenging, requiring leadership and strong organisational skills as well as a capacity for adaptable working. The ability to deliver high quality work to tight deadlines is vital.
The post holder will:
- Develop and lead an OPG external communications strategy and lead long term planning for OPG communications activity to support delivery of OPG’s Strategy
- Lead campaigns, strategic communications and stakeholder engagement, working closely with the OPG leadership, OPG customer relationship management team, central MOJ Campaigns and Strategic Communications team.
- Oversee the development and delivery of targeted campaigns to support delivery of the strategy
- Build strong relationships with OPG leaders and external stakeholders. Provide communications advice to senior officials on communications and campaigns approaches and opportunities.
- Ensure that all OPG campaigns are based on audience insight and undertake research as needed and where budget permits. Drive innovation in the use of low-cost campaigning techniques using insight from other sectors
- Develop positive and productive relationships, with external stakeholders and partners. You will lead a programme of external affairs, to build and maintain relationships with external stakeholders, working closely with the Customer Relationship Management team. [Drafting note: this GCS blog sets out the new GCS approach to external affairs which is worth a read: https://gcs.civilservice.gov.uk/how-to-make-friends-and-influence-people-in-government-communications/]
- Working closely with OPG and wider MOJ communications on policy changes and policy announcements.
- Continually seek new ways to engage our audiences, based on insight and informed by GCS best practice.
- Line manage the OPG external communications team.
To find out more or apply for this vacancy please visit:
Closing date for receipt of applications is: 22 August 2018 at 23:55pm