To identify, research and develop policy positions on the issues that are important to older people living in the UK. To provide expert analysis and lead across policy priority areas, driving a programme of policy development and engagement across national and local government, parliament and other key stakeholders in order to achieve Independent Age’s vision of every older person living the life to which they aspire.
The main duties are as follows:
- To work with the Head of Policy and other Policy Managers to strategically lead, develop and implement a policy and research programme and influencing strategy, with support from across the organisation.
- To be the strategic lead on specialist policy areas of importance to older people.
- To lead and line manage a senior policy officer and policy officer.
- Work across the organisation at a senior level to lead and drive forward policy research and analysis to drive forward our external influencing campaigns.
- Responsible for delivering the strategic direction of the policy and research programme.
- To be the in-house expert on key policy areas affecting the lives of older people.
- To be extensively networked externally to communicate and influence policy change.
- To create opportunities for older people, their carers and relatives, to contribute to and influence policy development.
- To work with teams across the organisation, to ensure key areas of policy work are understood, and opportunities are available for other teams to input into policy development.
- To provide briefings on key issues as required, briefing senior colleagues for events and opportunities.
- Represent Independent Age’s views on public policy externally, for instance attending and speaking at policy events, seminars and conferences.
- Produce policy outputs such as research reports, consultation responses, and web content.
- Identify public policy issues to which Independent Age should respond, both proactivelyand reactively, and determine the most relevant methods for exploring the issue, including in-house or commissioned research.
- Communicate Independent Age’s views on public policy issues to a variety of internal and external audiences through reports, articles and presentations.
- To ensure that all policy positions and outputs are evidence-based, accurate and involving synthesis of information from a range of sources.
- Work with Campaigns colleagues to identify and develop policy calls suitable for campaigning.
- To manage the Senior Policy Officer and Policy Officer, ensuring they provide the charity with up-to-date policy briefings and high-quality submissions in response to public consultations
- Support the work of colleagues across the organisation including supporting strategic goals and other cross divisional objectives required.
- To observe and comply with all Independent Age Policies, including the key policies and procedures on Confidentiality, Data Protection, Health and Safety and Information Technology Policies and Procedures.
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and so the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Independent Age is committed to equality of opportunity and of eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to adhere to the principles set out in its Equal Opportunities Policy and all other relevant guidance/practice frameworks.