Regional Media Officer
Cats Protection is the UK's leading feline welfare charity, helping around 200,000 cats and kittens every year through our network of 34 centres and over 250 volunteer-run branches
We are looking for a proactive Regional Media Officer to join our Communications team to manage the media coverage, to enhance and protect Cats Protection's reputation. You will be supporting the media volunteers to carry out their day-to-day roles.
Main duties will include:
- Find and exploit local Cats Protection (CP) stories that have regional or national potential to generate greater awareness of the Charity
- Support branches, adoption centres (ACs), shops and CP departments to work with their local media to generate greater awareness of the Charity
- Effectively recruit, induct and support regional media volunteers, including organising recruitment campaigns, identifying volunteer learning and development needs and ensuring required training and support is provided
- Provide advice and support to branches, ACs and shops to enable them to recruit professional publicity volunteers
- Provide an advice service to volunteers and employees to improve the quality and amount of regional media work
- Offer a press release proof-checking service to employees and volunteers to protect and enhance CP’s reputation and brand
- Liaise with the Charity’s regional employees, volunteers and the media to set up media interviews and brief all parties accordingly
- Research, write and distribute media releases and images to media where appropriate to meet PR objectives
- Identify and exploit regional coverage opportunities including, but not limited to, those that arise from national campaigns
- Act as media spokesperson where necessary
- Plan, organise and run media training sessions for key CP employees
- Identify and nurture new and existing celebrity relationships in conjunction with other team members
- Use social media to identify and network with journalists and celebrities to generate support and coverage
- Alert national media team to any potential reputation issues
- Provide reactive responses to media queries and issues
Occasional/Rota evening and weekend work may be required.
To reward you, we have a pay scheme which provides the opportunity to progress within your pay band, subject to satisfactory performance. We also offer a range of benefits which include a generous holiday entitlement, a competitive pension offering, a private medical scheme, and a death in service scheme.
Cats Protection is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
To apply for the role of Regional Media Officer, please apply via the button shown.