Intern (Philanthropy) - Top PR Agency, London, Great Bens
Portland is an international communications consultancy trusted by some of the highest profile organisations, governments and individuals in the world with offices in Washington DC, New York, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi, as well as in London.
At Portland we never rest on our laurels; we constantly strive to improve our work and be at the forefront of the industry.
- Philanthropy and Disputes is a dedicated practice within Portland that supports a range of international clients
- Our clients include some of the world’s biggest foundations and high profile philanthropists; multinational investors with operations in growth markets; and organisations and individuals involved in high profile litigation and disputes
- Our multinational team of consultants has worked at the highest levels of media, politics, finance and campaigning
The intern may be required to carry out all or some of the following key tasks within the Philanthropy and Disputes team:
- Tracking issues in the media, relevant to designated clients.
- Sourcing and preparing detailed draft media analysis reports for approval by relevant Account Executives and Account Managers;
- Researching and sourcing information as directed by Account Executives and Account Managers for designated client projects;
- Management of press cuttings, including preparing monthly/quarterly coverage books;
- Preparing activity reports for clients;
- Helping to draft press releases, opinion articles, website copy, background material etc;
- Conducting ring rounds, and building journalist contacts;
- Preparing journalist biographies and briefing notes for clients;
- Preparing and maintaining media distribution lists for press releases;
- Researching and managing forward calendars of key media and current affairs events relevant to designated clients.
- Have the ability to conduct comprehensive analysis of information to tight deadlines ensuring accuracy and relevance;
- Have excellent writing skills;
- Be logical, creative and flexible in the appraisal of problems;
- Be proficient in the use of research and Internet tools and word processing;
- Have experience of using social media platforms in a professional capacity;
- Be able to take direction and report progress on your work with others;
- Be organised and able to manage your own workload.
Qualifications And Skills:
- You must have a Degree (with a minimum of a 2:1 or equivalent). This is likely to be in a research-oriented social science or arts, e.g. politics, history, economics and English;
- Foreign language skills are desirable, especially in Arabic, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and German;
- Knowledge and enthusiasm for the media and international affairs is essential;
- Experience of Public Affairs, politics and campaigning is an advantage;
- Experience in journalism, blogging and social media is an advantage.
What we offer in return:
- We are committed to employee development and have an open doors culture where you will have the opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced people in the business. We regularly reward and promote success, and actively encourage staff to take on new challenges and responsibilities to aid progression.
- Our remuneration package also includes our competitive pension contributions, private healthcare life assurance cover, company contribution to gym membership, company parties, free daily breakfast and much, much more!
- In addition, every permanent member of staff that works at Portland is eligible for our industry leading quarterly bonus scheme and annual profit share. When Portland thrives, all of our people share in that success.
Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications we receive it is not possible to respond directly to all applicants, only to those whose candidacy is being pursued. In addition, the length of the recruitment process varies based on the vacancy needs. Traditionally, the process takes approximately 2-4 weeks. Therefore, your patience is greatly appreciated.