External Communications Manager - Hove, East Sussex
EDF Energy, one of the UK’s largest energy companies and the largest producer of low-carbon electricity, is looking for an experienced external communications manager for its customers business.
This is a varied role that supports on all proactive and reactive media activity, with potential additional support in government and stakeholder relations when required. It will cover a number of interesting and high profile topics and campaigns, including energy pricing, innovation and technology, energy efficiency programmes, and skills and education.
The external communications manager will need proven experience in working in an issues-led, high profile environment and will have at least five years’ experience in public relations, with a good understanding of consumer affairs and UK politics. They will work closely with the wider communications team, including digital, brand and marketing and our external agencies to provide communications support to include:
- Support for the delivery of a coordinated communications plan aligned to the strategic priorities of EDF Energy
- Responding to media, corporate and political issues affecting EDF Energy
- Maintaining excellent relations with relevant external stakeholders, including key journalists, relevant consumer groups and industry groups
- Act as a key contact for leaders within the customer business providing counsel on external issues
This role will report into the senior external communications manager for Customers and will sit within the integrated Communications Directorate, based at one of our customer sites in Hove or London
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
- Extensive media handling experience and proven network of media contacts
- Good understanding of the UK political landscape, preferably some public affairs experience
- Proven ability to manage large integrated campaigns that deliver well messaged coverage
- Demonstrated success in managing media activities and events for a complex organisation
- First class communication skills (written and oral), in particular the ability to communicate complex topics to a wide audience
- Good influencing skills and the ability to work well with others in a large and complex organisation, including senior leaders in business.
- Evidence of external experience and interest in UK politics, including knowledge of the UK political process
- Proven ability to work under pressure to manage fast moving issues and deliver to tight deadlines
- Ability to commission and publish content in media and on digital channel
Experience working on consumer issues highly desirable, energy experience helpful, but not mandatory