Chief Press Officer
Tackling homelessness, building more homes, funding local government, creating more integrated communities – the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government deals with some of the most high-profile issues across government and with policies that really matter to people across the country.
We are looking for an experienced communicator to lead one of the Department's busy communications teams. You will work closely with the Secretary of State, Ministers, and policy officials to deliver effective multi channel media relations and advice.
You will be a key part of the senior management team, working with the Deputy Head of News (Grade 6) and Head of News (SCS1) to build and maintain standards across the communications team.
The successful candidate will be well experienced working under the pressure of a delivering a substantial news agenda in a fast-paced environment. As well as experience of dealing with front page new stories or breaking broadcast news, we are looking for people who are confident using social and digital channels to innovate and communicate to audiences. You will have a strong news head and an ability to see the bigger picture.
You will manage a team of media officers to effectively support one of
the Department’s key policy areas.
The role includes:
- Lead, develop and deliver multi-channel media relations that contribute to the wider communications strategy and support the goals of MHCLG Ministers and Government;
- Lead a team of media officers – ensuring your team is motivated, supported and delivering the highest standards on behalf of MHCLG.
- Providing advice, counsel and constructive challenge as required to Ministers, the Executive Team and policy officials on the implications of new, developing and existing policy.
- Be a key member of the communication group’s senior management team (SMT), deputising where necessary and representing the group inside and outside MHCLG.
- Initiating and developing communication strategies to ensure the department is on the front foot in responding to emerging issues; this includes scanning the modern communications landscape to identify potential risks to MHCLG’s reputation and mitigating these;
- Be part of an out-of-hours duty rota that provides a 24/7 service to media, the department and Ministers.