Media Relations Manager Maternity Cover/Secondment
The Russell Group, which represents 24 leading universities in the UK, is currently seeking a Media Relations Manager on a 12-month fixed-term contract basis to strengthen their Communications team.
This is a high responsibility role in a busy Westminster office. The successful candidate will:
- Support the Director of Communications in developing the Russell Group’s media relations to help deliver the Chief Executive’s overarching strategy.
- Provide counsel to the Chief Executive and senior team on all aspects of media work.
- Generate and execute proactive news stories and draft reactive lines.
- Conduct media briefings and prepare the Chief Executive and other colleagues for media appearances and interviews.
- Draft written interventions including OpEds, blogs, briefing notes for press, tweets etc. Comment on other written materials, including policy documents.
- Work with member institutions and other stakeholders to coordinate media activity.
- Take on out-of-hours duties where necessary to respond to media enquiries and emerging stories.
- Attend relevant events to represent the Russell Group.
- Participate fully in an integrated comms team which covers external relations, events and media, including social media.
We are looking for a motivated and confident individual to fill this role. The successful candidate will:
- have strong press office experience
- be able to communicate complex policy work in a way which is media-friendly
- have experience in developing excellent relationships with journalists
- be able to work under pressure when necessary, thinking strategically while getting stuck in to the day-to-day
Experience in UK politics, policy development and advocacy may be an advantage, but candidates will not be expected to necessarily have a Higher Education background.
This appointment is on a 12-month fixed-term contract/secondment (maternity cover) and will be based in London. We welcome applications from people whatever their race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief, or age.
We offer a competitive salary based on skills and experience and other benefits including a generous holiday entitlement and access to subsidised canteen and gymnasium facilities.
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Wednesday 8th May 2019
We anticipate that first interviews will be carried out in week commencing 13th May 2019; second interviews for selected candidates will be held in week commencing 20th May 2019.
Only applicants invited to interview will be contacted. If you have not heard by 24th May 2019 your application will not have been successful.
To apply, please click "Apply" and submit the following by email by the closing date:
1.) An up-to-date curriculum vitae including:
a. details of your current and past employment including your current salary
b. two references: your current or most recent employer; and a former line manager who could be contacted during the process
2.) A one-page cover letter addressing the following points:
a. how your knowledge, skills and experience meet the requirements of the role
b. why you are interested in working for the Russell Group