Media and Public Affairs Manager - ASA
The ASA is the UK’s independent advertising regulator across all media and acts independently of both the Government and the advertising industry. Having administered the non-broadcasting code for over 50 years and the broadcast Advertising Code for over ten, the ASA’s remit was further extended in 2011 to include companies’ advertising claims on their own websites and in social media spaces under their contract. As such, the organisation is at the forefront worldwide of the challenge to regularly rapidly evolving advertising techniques including online behavioural advertising, native advertising and influencer advertising, and is currently in the first months of a new five-year corporate strategy entitled “More Impact Online”, meaning it’s a great time to join.
Led by the Director of Communications, the communications department promotes the work of the ASA and CAP (The Committees of Advertising Practice who write and maintain the UK advertising codes) to a wide range of audiences including the public, the advertising industry, government, NGOs and the media, and intersects with a number of high-profile public policy debates around obesity, gambling and alcohol amongst others. The Media and Public Affairs Manager will lead the ASA and CAP media and public affairs function, curating the ASA’s reputation amongst stakeholders and opinion-formers across the UK in order to deliver evidenced improvements towards its regulation, and provide timely analysis of emerging public policy risks and opportunities. Key responsibilities will include:
- Line managing and motivating members of the Media and Public Affairs team.
- Working with the Director of Communications to develop and implement a communications strategy to meet corporate objectives in line with the organisation’s new 5 year strategy.
- Designing and implementing a measurement framework to track the reputation of the ASA system.
- Coordinating influencing and engagement activities.
- Creating a system for horizon-scanning across the political and media landscapes, forecasting risks and opportunities, and analysing potential issues.
- Personally spearheading the ASA’s engagement programme with Scottish politicians, government officials, advertising industry figures, third sector organisations and consumer groups.
- Providing effective briefing for public affairs meetings and overseeing consultation responses.
- Establishing quality bench-marks for press office activity and reporting on message penetration and potential new channels.
- Engaging with policy leads to develop media campaigns and announcements, and engaging with media on a proactive and responsive basis.
- Providing strategic counsel and analysis at CEO and Chairman level.
- Ensuring corporate publications are properly informative for political audiences.
Educated to degree level and with experience of managing a press and/or public affairs function in a high-profile organisation and of delivering effective programmes of work across both disciplines, you’ll bring excellent drafting skills and a track record of building relations with stakeholders at all levels coupled with demonstrable success in leading and motivating a team.
An experienced presenter, articulate and credible, you’ll be well placed to represent the organisation to government officials, MPs and journalists in England and the devolved administrations, and you’ll have the presence and confidence to act as spokesperson for the ASA and CAP on television and radio. Representing the organisation in Scotland will require regular visits to Edinburgh so flexibility to travel will be needed.
More searches like this
- Associations / Institutions Senior Account Manager Public Affairs / Policy Full Time jobs in London (Central)
- Business / Industrial Senior Account Manager Public Affairs / Policy Full Time jobs in London (Central)
- Charity / Voluntary organisation Senior Account Manager Public Affairs / Policy Full Time jobs in London (Central)
- Consumer Senior Account Manager Public Affairs / Policy Full Time jobs in London (Central)
- FMCG Senior Account Manager Public Affairs / Policy Full Time jobs in London (Central)