Reporting to - Communication and Engagement Lead
Function - Asset Management
Location - London, Newington House SE1
Reference Number - 44455
Employment Period - Fixed Term Contract (12 - 18 Months)
Contract Type - Collective
CiP Level / Bonus - 3%
Starting Salary - £30,836 + Inner London Allowance
Closing Date - 24/06/2019
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also offer :
Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
Season ticket loan
Occupational Health support
Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
Discounted access to sports and social clubs
Employee Assistance Programme.
The UK’s leading electricity distribution network is looking for an energetic and committed marketing and communications officer with experience of stakeholder engagement or event management to help us drive forward the low carbon transition. Working across the Smart Grid and Innovation teams, you’ll be working with some of the country’s most talented low carbon engineers and specialists.
UK Power Networks is the first and only energy company to be named in the Sunday Times 25 ‘Best Big Companies to Work For’ and is a multiple winner of Utility of the Year, making this is a great time to join and help grow our business.
This is a time of unprecedented change for the electricity industry as we move from the old world of large, carbon intensive coal and gas-fired power plants to a much more complex, interconnected world of renewable energy, battery storage and electric vehicles. It’s our job to maintain a safe and reliable electricity supply. You’ll be working with the people at the heart of this once in a generation transition to help create the flexible low carbon energy system of the future.
In 2016 we established the country’s first ever standalone Smart Grid team. You will play a crucial role in raising our profile with the energy generators that can provide services to the electricity network, growing new markets for flexible energy resources by managing stakeholders and growing our brand.
We pride ourselves on being the most innovative network operator, and our team of innovation engineers are responsible for everything from the world’s biggest commercial electric vehicle trial to developing an environmentally friendly woodpecker repellent to protect our electricity poles. You’ll help tell their story internally and externally, turning complex projects into compelling narratives.
- Develop and manage a stakeholder engagement programme for flexible energy providers
- Identify and develop opportunities for high profile internal and external communications
- Produce high quality written material, including internal and external communications, social media, marketing material and direct client communications
- Influence and implement the Innovation and Smart Grid communications annual strategies and monthly plans
- Planning and organising external events, including our twice-yearly Flexibility Forums and our stands at industry conferences and internal events
- Content management and continuous improvement of web presence
- Managing the production of printed materials such as reports and marketing collateral
- Manage requests to speak at or participate in external events, ensuring the right people are being seen by the right audiences
- Evaluate communications activity and use insights to develop more effective material
- Write winning award applications
- The role will is based in Central London but may require some travel to our offices across the South and East of England
Nature and scope
A detailed knowledge of the electricity industry isn’t required, but the ability to quickly grasp complex subjects and turn them into stories that engage audiences is. A multi-tasker capable of juggling competing priorities and hitting deadlines, you’ll have strong writing skills and be willing to go the extra mile.
The successful candidate could be a marketing and communications generalist, but we’d welcome applications from anyone with experience in event management, stakeholder engagement or business development.
Person specification – Skills
- Ability to quickly grasp complex issues and distil key points into compelling narratives that grab the audience’s attention
- Experience of planning and delivering stakeholder engagement strategies is desirable
- Strong written and verbal and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable experience of planning, co-ordinating and delivering events
- Highly organised and able to juggle multiple tasks and competing deadlines
- Proven experience working in the media or external communications teams
- A team player, adaptable, quick and creative-thinking
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders including senior managers to deliver successful outcomes
- Commercially driven with experience of delivering projects on time and on budget
- Able to influence and drive collaboration between team members
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject or possessing relevant professional qualifications such as NCTJ, NCE, CIPR, CIM or equivalent
- Experience with the development of PowerPoint presentations and other design applications. Video editing, photography and some graphic design skills would also be an advantage
- Please apply with a CV and covering letter outlining what you’d bring to the role. The role will close on Monday 24th of June.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt, ask!