Head of External Communications (FTC - 6 Months)
A Bit About Us
At AO, we’re in the business of better tomorrows for our customers, and we do whatever it takes to make sure they’re the happiest they can be. We may sell everything from washing machines to PlayStations, but putting smiles on our customers’ faces is at the heart of everything we do.
We’re big believers in making sure every job is done properly, which is why we do everything the AO way. Our award-winning teams work their magic behind the scenes to make sure every customer’s experience is totally effortless.
We launched in 2000 as a result of a £1 bet in a Bolton pub. 18 years later we have a 5* TrustPilot rating (after 100K reviews), expanded our business into Europe and floated on the London stock exchange, but we never lose sight of what we’re about.
More About the Role
Our Head of External Communications exists to find, share and tell our stories, making AO famous for its difference and a loved brand. Uncovering the unique tales that will amaze and attract customers, inspire our colleagues and engage our partners. It takes relentless planning, attention to detail, great relationships inside and out of AO, inspirational team leadership and a nose for news.
Here's What You Can Expect to be Doing
- Manage a team of eight individuals responsible for corporate and consumer external communications working across all earned media including financial communications
- Responsibility for preparing and implementing a rolling 12-month integrated communications plan covering AO and all its subsidiary business units in the UK and Europe.
- Act as a subject matter expert advising the business including at Executive level, on media and communications including crisis management
- Responsible for the administration of a c£800k budget
- Lead a busy front line press office team who are dealing with incoming media enquiries and ensuring a constant flow of positive AO news and stories across earned and owned channels
- Manage external agencies to ensure quality work and output aligned to the overall brand and communications plan
- Work closely with senior business unit leaders to develop news stories and content ideas that support business objectives
- Develop communications campaigns and strategies to deliver agreed business objectives
- Build and nurture relationships with business partners, NGOs, campaign groups and journalists to promote and protect the AO brand
- Deputise for the Director of Communications where required
- A Few Things About You
- You’re able to build strong relationships internally and externally at all levels
- Challenging conventions is something you are comfortable doing and are good at it too.
- You prefer to take a collaborative approach to building communications campaigns and alignment with marketing
- You’re fast thinking helps you to prioritise work requests at pace
- Problem solving is a strong skill of yours and you are able to think on your feet
- You’re confident presenting and are able to convey complex ideas and theories in simple terms when needed.
Why Choose AO?
At AO, our culture and our AO’way of doing things is vital to our success. We’re passionate people, determined to do whatever’s necessary to make our customers happy.
The AO motto is "treat every customer like you’d expect your nan to be treated, and make decisions your mum would be proud of". To do this, we train and empower each and every AO’er to strive for better ways of doing whatever they are doing.
Our AO’ers don’t just go through the motions and follow processes, it just isn’t our thing. We don’t follow trends, we set them.
Great People Deserve Great Things
As an AO’er you can take full advantage of the benefits and perks we have to offer
- Feel free to have a chat with us about our flexible ways of working.
- 25 days holiday (Excluding Bank Holidays)
- At least 5% contribution pension scheme
- Dedicated wellness initiatives that support a healthy work / life balance, ranging from our 24hr employee assistance programme to subsidised gym membership.
To see all of our benefits and perks visit our AO Benefits page