Corporate Affairs Executive
We’re the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) - the voice of the UK food and drink industry: the largest manufacturing sector in the country. We help our members operate in a highly regulated marketplace to maximise their competitiveness and profitability. Our job is to communicate our industry's values and concerns to Government, regulators, consumers and the media. We also work in partnership with key players in the food supply chain to ensure our food is safe, affordable and nutritious.
This role is crucial in liaising between FDF’s expert policy teams, member companies, the media and political stakeholders to help communicate our priorities for Brexit, diet and health, industrial strategy, sustainability and food science.
Political and Media Monitoring
- To keep abreast of political and media developments affecting food and drink manufacturing, analysing content and providing timely advice to FDF colleagues and member companies on relevant items such as Government announcements and consultations, Parliamentary activity and media campaigns.
- To assist with the compilation of regular reports and newsletters for FDF colleagues and members, and disseminating intelligence on policy, political and parliamentary developments.
Political and Stakeholder Engagement
- To assist with the delivery of FDF’s public affairs engagement programme at Westminster, devolved government and EU level.
- To draft briefings, correspondence and stakeholder communications on a wide range of topics for Parliamentarians and key contacts.
- To proactively seek opportunities to communicate FDF’s position, through public events and meetings.
- To support the team in maintaining an accurate stakeholder management database.
- To assist with the planning, logistics and delivery of FDF events, including the annual Parliamentary Reception, Commercial events and other ad hoc events.
Media Relations and Campaigns
- To handle media queries, seeking advice from specific FDF colleagues as appropriate or external organisations, in consultation with the Media Manager.
- To develop FDF proactive press releases, position statements, media responses, media plans and Q&As in consultation with Media Manager and FDF colleagues.
- In liaison with the Media Manager, to plan and progress campaign activity for agreed FDF priorities, such as developing communication solutions, stakeholder resources, planning events, creating web and hard copy, drafting social media posts and sourcing case studies.
- To provide advice for member associations, and FDF committees/groups on media issues of concern to FDF and on specific issues relating to their sectors
- To provide, with other members of the Media Team, a 24-hour on call media service for FDF.
- To assist with any other reasonable duties that may be required by the Head of Corporate Affairs and the Media Manager.
- To develop and maintain an understanding of FDF’s work and the needs of members.
FDF’s Corporate Affairs team are the link between our members and government. We aim to put member issues at the forefront of the government agenda, and work with government in helping our members to meet government set targets for food and drink.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- Good understanding of politics and Westminster parliamentary processes
- A keen interest in current affairs and the media landscape
- Experience of working with politicians and journalists
- Excellent verbal communication skills and an adaptable writing style
- A persuasive and diplomatic communicator with the ability to handle confidential information sensitively and quickly build trusting relationships with a wide range of individuals
- Able to work as part of a team and multi-task, with good time management skills
- A proactive and creative approach
- Ability to work flexibly and cope with change
- Good organisational skills with attention to detail
- Events management experience
- Able to demonstrate interest in the food and drink sector
- Competent in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook
FDF is a great place to work where we take wellbeing seriously and have a great benefits package to match, offering a pension scheme, life insurance, 25 days holiday, private healthcare, leisure travel insurance, gym subsidy, interest-free season ticket loan and cycle-to-work scheme.
We’re based in the heart of central London in a modern, bright open-plan office. We have a friendly work culture with great break-out spaces, quiet booths and opportunities for flexible-working. Our ‘Feel Good for Life’ team regularly organises events and activities to promote positive health and wellbeing.
How to Apply
We’d love to hear from you, if you think your experience and skillset are suited to the role. Please send us your CV, covering letter and salary expectations, illustrating why you’d be a great candidate to Recruitment@fdf.org.uk.