External Affairs Advisor - Retail
This leading trade association for the UK retail industry is looking for an External affairs executive to work within the corporate affairs team with the aim to make a make a positive difference to the retail industry and the consumer’s it serves.
The aim of the role:
The Retail is a driving force within the UK economy, and the UK’s largest private sector employer. Working into the Corporate Affairs Director you will be responsible for protecting and & promoting the reputation of the industry: ensuring that stakeholders understand the transformation as well as build awareness of corporate responsibility initiatives across the industry companies through effective management of high profile media issues.
You will also Use your expertise and influence to shape a policy environment that will allow retail businesses to thrive in the future.
Priority campaign areas include: Brexit, skills, plastics and waste, business rates, nutrition, and crime.
Culturally they offer a flat structure and you will have the autonomy to lead elements for the public affairs agenda and it provides a great opportunity to make a difference. You will be hungry, motivated, proactive and results driven, willing to give your opinion and challenge, You will be resilient and calm and as adept at executing a project plan as you are in coming up with creative campaign ideas.
The role on offer?
Lead on planning and delivery of integrated campaigns to engage political stakeholders.
- Deliver legislative and political advocacy, messaging and stakeholder engagement; working with the communications team to ensure that appropriate use is made of all channels of communication including print and broadcast media, digital and social media and speaking and editorial opportunities, to influence government policy.
- Raise the organisation’s profile, credibility and influence with key political audiences.
- Develop and deliver a proactive political contact programme, preparing briefings for meetings, and developing strong relationships with key stakeholders, including in member companies. You may have a good contacts book already.
- Collect and review political and legislative intelligence at a strategic level and on critical issues,
- Be a great communicator with strong writing skills, with a good working knowledge of Westminster and Whitehall.
- Highly sophisticated knowledge of UK Government and the policy making, legislative and other processes that surround it
- Strong political networks, a track record in successful relationship building and political influencing, and a willingness to dedicate time and effort to broadening and deepening those networks
- Experience in a government relations or public affairs role
- Experience leading the development and implementation of government relations strategies for a number of different organisations and/or companies
- A clear handle on current retail public policy issues
- Would ideally suit a candidate at Senior account manager or account director level if within an agency environment or a graduate with 5-7 years relevant experience in Public affairs with some retail industry experience.