About The Role
As a Press Officer at M&S you will support the External Communications Manager to deliver external comms, media relations strategy and plan for our Clothing & Home, Property, Retail, Finance, Business & International functions to enhance and protect the reputations of M&S, build and maintain belief in our transformation story and strengthen trust and relevance in our brand and business.
You will work with the wider Corporate Communication Team, the Clothing & Home Business, Retail & Property, Digital & Data teams, to operationalise the external communications and media relations strategy and plan
What You Will Do
- Build a good understanding of the issues, challenges and priorities for M&S and how the leadership teams are transforming the business, and establish a network of contacts to ensure information and knowledge is kept up to date
- Draw on the expertise of the Content Managers in the Digital, Content & Channels Team to create engaging, creativity packaged content including, videos, blogs, Vlogs, photography, infographics, podcasts, animation and printed collateral; bringing our Clothing & Home, Property and Retail and Digital & Data messages to life in the most powerful ways across multiple channels
- Accountable for providing information on Clothing & Home, Property & Retail and Digital & Data activities for the master planning grid
- Build and foster relationships with journalists including online influencers and bloggers
- Monitor the Press Office inbox and answer the Press Office phone line; logging calls, responding to Clothing & Home, Property and Retail information requests and queries, redirecting enquires and escalating issues when needed
- Research and fact check responses related to media enquiries / issues about Clothing & Home, Property & Retail, Digital & Data; liaising with subject matter experts and drafting key messages, statements and Q&As for approval and sign off
- Keep our Clothing & Home, Property &Retail and Digital & Data positions and Q&As for media handling up to date
- Act as key point of contact for Customer Services Team to provide counsel and support on complaints and issues that may generate media interest and impact the brand reputation.
What You Will Need
- 3-5 years’ media relations experience working in a busy and demanding Press Office for a large, fast-paced FMCG organisation, or a relevant agency role. Retail experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Digitally savvy with a good news sense and effective media handling skills
- Experience of using insights and data to inform ideas and activities
- Proven ability to think creatively and develop innovative content that speaks to, and gains traction with, target audiences
- Experience of issues and crisis management
- Experience of working on insights-led campaigns and programmes
- Existing media contacts and relationships
- Ability to digest information quickly and meet tight deadlines across several projects
- Highly organised, strong project manager with excellent attention to detail
- Understand disclosure requirements for a listed business