Media Relations Manager
7 days left
- Contract Type
We are transforming; by 2020 we will set the standard for rail travel in the North and beyond. With a £1 billion investment in transforming our business and rail travel, these are exciting times and a great time to join us.
We’re one of the UK’s largest train operating companies and our franchise began on 1 April 2016, running for 9 years. Northern is owned by Arriva Group (backed by Deutsche Bahn).
Northern plays a vital role in the north of England by connecting tens of thousands of people, to work, leisure and education. Our aim is to connect people to opportunities by providing a reliable and friendly train service. We have made significant progress since we started but there is much more that we want to achieve and you can be a part of it.
We are looking for a Media Relations Manager to join the team based in York. Reporting to the External Communications Manager you will develop and deliver Northern’s media relations strategy, engaging with and influencing the media to promote, enhance and protect its reputation. You’ll source and deliver positive stories for the media and also manage media enquiries received. The Media Relations Manager will also mitigate the risk of high profile public or media issues or campaigns towards Northern by proactively engaging with relevant external audiences across all media channels.
About the role:
Working in this role you will also:
· Lead the day-to-day delivery of the media relations strategy to support Northern’s business objectives, marketing and sponsorship plans, including the management of external agencies to deliver this activity and the provision of media training and briefings for company spokespeople
· Lead and develop the Media Relations Executive in servicing media requests and effectively managing journalist relationships
· Write and issue news releases and statements in a timely manner to media, respond to media enquiries, and maintain the database of media contacts
· Plan and deliver the annual media calendar including positive campaigns to engage all audiences and mitigating the risk of any potentially negative issues.
· Manage the monitoring and evaluation of all media coverage about Northern, highlighting key issues to internal stakeholders
We’re looking for candidates who are educated to degree level, with membership of a professional body such as the Chartered Institute of Public Relations. You should also have significant experience in managing the media, including taking part in radio, TV and print interviews. We are also looking for:
- An experienced communicator with highly developed writing skills
- Broad understanding of and interest in current affairs
- Proven capability to manage large workloads to tight deadlines, often under pressure
- Line management experience
- Strong planning and project management skills