The Football Association (The FA) is the governing body of football in England. We are responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels; from grass roots through to the professional game, The FA Cup and the England International teams, and has two core assets: Wembley Stadium and St George's Park.
Lead The FA's relationship with Government and enhance the reputation of The FA politically, building credibility and trust amongst all political stakeholders, combating possible regulatory interference and seeking improved financial and other support from the public sector.
Lead the strategic Public Affairs approach of The FA
- Create and deliver the annual Public Affairs strategy to support The FA's strategic objectives
- Lead the Public Affairs strategy, with support from an external agency and the Public Affairs Manager, meeting agreed KPIs.
Maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders
- Lead The FA's engagement- and maintain positive relationships - with key decision makers across Government departments, Government, Local Government, Parliament, political parties and wider stakeholders.
- Represent The FA and be the day to day contact for key external relationships.
- Lead The FA's external public affairs engagement activity and thought leadership events in Whitehall
- Engage with and support County Football Associations in promoting The FA's work amongst all political stakeholders.
Influence public policy outcomes
- Influence public policy outcomes; preventing regulatory interference and seeking improved outcomes for sport and/or football.
- Ensure The FA Group is informed of and engaged with potential public policy changes and able to influence the outcome of potential changes through relationships with key stakeholders.
Ensure coordinated public policy positions across The FA Group
- Ensure that relevant FA stakeholders are thoroughly briefed as and when required on relevant political and policy developments.
- Coordinate policy positions across The FA Group, leading campaigns as and when required to influence Government policy.
Support senior management and decision makers within The FA
- Brief and make recommendations to the Chairman, Board, Chief Executive and Senior Management Team on public affairs issues.
- Provide support and advice for the Chairman and CEO's office; including coordinating responses to public and corporate affairs inquiries.
- Support the Corporate Affairs function on behalf of the Head of Corporate Affairs and Director of International and Corporate Affairs, delivering specific strategic projects for the organisation.
Ad hoc responsibilities
- Executing additional tasks as required in order to meet The FA Group's changing priorities.
What we are looking for
- Extensive experience of working in politics and/or public affairs advocacy
- Experience of leading high-profile campaigns
- Experience of working with and access to decision makers within Parliament and Whitehall
- Experience and/or understanding of the football industry
- Knowledgeable about football and The FA
- Interest and potentially working experience in international relations and equality, diversity and inclusion
What we can offer you
- An exciting and challenging role within a changing, dynamic and world-renowned sports organisation.
- Attractive benefits and a competitive salary for the right candidate.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your covering letter.