£31,305 per annum
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), Swindon
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) works in partnership with universities, research organisations, businesses, charities, and government to create the best possible environment for research and innovation to flourish.
We have an excellent opportunity for a communications professional to join our Communications and Engagement Team where you will be working on the biggest science and technology breakthroughs and communicating the research that is tackling the most urgent global challenges in areas such as climate change, healthcare, food security, social mobility and gender equality.
As Press Officer you will build an understanding of, engagement with, and trust in UKRI and its activities and interests, both externally and with all employees, with a focus on protecting and enhancing UKRI’s reputation as an organisation.
The post is part of a high-performing team providing the single media point of contact for UKRI. You will assist the delivery of excellent proactive and reactive media relations in support of UKRI’s vision and mission. You will also support media planning across the organisation, co-ordination of collective announcements and responses and using evaluation and insight to inform strategic campaigns.
There are two press officer roles available based in Swindon, with the occasional need to travel to other UKRI sites.
What we are looking for:
At shortlisting we will be looking for evidence of:
- Experience of working in a busy communications function, press office or newsroom environment
- The ability to sell-in stories to support campaigns and announcements, as well as protect and enhance an organisation’s reputation through sound issues management
- Working knowledge of using online and social media channels to secure communications objectives
- Expertise of using media monitoring, evaluation and insight tools to inform strategic thinking
- Developing and managing relationships with internal and people at all levels, as well as the ability to negotiate, influence and persuade people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
In addition, it would be desirable if you could evidence:
- An understanding of media planning and delivery of announcements as part of wider strategic campaigns
- Knowledge of research and innovation issues with reference to UKRI/policy issues
- An understanding of Government and government communications
Choosing to come to work at UKRI means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits including a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to see more details and to apply please click the apply button. Please include a covering letter outlining how you fit the role criteria. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
UKRI is committed to equality and diversity in employment and we encourage applications from all sections of the community.
The closing date for applications is 6th September 2020. Interviews will be held w/c 21st September 2020.