Overall Purpose of the Role:
Big Society Capital has an important role to play in raising awareness and advancing understanding of social impact investment in the UK. This is an outstanding opportunity to lead the development and implementation of a powerful new vision, positioning and communications strategy for the UK’s leading social impact investment investor. This will provide a platform for Big Society Capital to create energy around the problems we are seeking to tackle, inform and inspire potential investors and partners (from the financial, public and social sectors) to work with us, and to amplify the learnings from our work to influence the wider system for lasting change.
1) Implementation and further development of the new vision, brand and communications strategy to support the delivery of the Big Society Capital strategy and business plan;
2) Overseeing the communications team and management of all communications activities for the organisation.
• Further develop and deliver the communications strategy to ensure a flow of content to help raise awareness and improve understanding of Big Society Capital and its work amongst its priority audiences
• Embed a user-led approach to our communications ensuring that we are listening to and responding to our stakeholders’ needs
• Ensure colleagues and our supporters, including board members, are confident, fluent ambassadors for Big Society Capital and our work
• Lead and motivate the communications team through effective management and act as a professional role model, while ensuring colleagues’ continuing professional development
• Take overall responsibility for the growth and development of the Big Society Capital website, social media and other digital communication channels
• Support colleagues to engage positively with the Government and policy makers, as well as relevant international bodies to support our work
• Take overall responsibility for all engagement with the media, including the preparation and distribution of media releases, maintenance and extension of media contacts and relationships, media briefings and press conferences. Provide support for the main spokespeople for Big Society Capital and act as the main point of contact at Big Society Capital for communications matters with partner and stakeholder organisations
• With Engagement/Investment team leads where relevant, oversee integrated marketing communications campaigns (including public and media relations campaigns) to raise awareness and support engagement with Big Society Capital’s activities
• Oversee the maintenance and further development of the vision, brand and narrative for Big Society Capital to ensure that its purpose, impact and ways to engage with it and social investment are understood and inspire action in key audiences including colleagues
• Create and lead an effective PR programme to raise the profile and understanding of Big Society Capital and social impact investment with key stakeholders
• Ensure research is carried out to monitor Big Society Capital’s brand, reputation and the effectiveness of its communications as well as gain stakeholder insight
• Develop and maintain effective business relationships with marketing and communications suppliers and advisers to ensure best value for money
• Manage internal communication and ensure the interface between the organisation’s leadership and its employees is effective, and everyone is kept up to date with key activities and events.
Line management responsibilities:
• Senior Digital Marketing and Communications Officer
• Senior PR & Media Relations Officer
• Communications Director
• Proven senior-level team leadership experience
• Professional experience of dealing with and influencing the media, and understanding relevant media for key audiences (particularly financial)
• Demonstrable interest in social investment and/or the broader social sector either in a personal or professional capacity
• Proven track record of leading successful PR programmes at a strategic level
• Development and delivery of internal and external communications strategies
• Financial sector, impact investment and/or social sector knowledge and contacts
• Working in organisations with multiple stakeholder communities
Skills, abilities and attributes
• A confident, effective communicator who is approachable and flexible
• Ability to translate concepts and make the complex simple
• A collegial and collaborative team player, able to establish excellent working relationships and influence both internally and externally
• Creative thinker, grounded in the delivery of business outcomes
• Proven ability to see the wider strategic picture in a practical context
Salary and terms of employment
• This is a permanent, part-time, job share role (3 days per week)
• All applicants must have an existing Right to Work in the UK
• Salary of £72,000- £78,000 pro-rata (depending on experience)
• Please apply through BeApplied by midday on Monday 9 November 2020.
• Interviews will be held in late November 2020
• The majority of Big Society Capital staff are currently working from home. Throughout the recruitment process, we will be as flexible as possible in light of any COVID-19 related priorities and challenges you may be facing.