Portland is a fully integrated communications consultancy trusted by some of the highest profile organizations, governments and individuals in the world with global offices in Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Washington DC, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi, as well as in London. We advise some of the world’s best known brands including Netflix, YouTube, Google, Astrazeneca, Heathrow Airport and Snapchat.
We are pioneers in integrated communications campaigns, helping clients manage their reputation, improve their visibility and media coverage – and deliver global communications campaigns across multiple platforms.
Our teams of experienced and multilingual consultants invest time to understand clients from the inside out, work with them to set clear strategic direction, and then bring the whole of Portland’s abilities to bear to deliver their objectives.
At Portland we never rest on our laurels; we constantly strive to improve our work and be at the forefront of the industry.
- Our team brings together experience from the highest levels of the media, politics, and campaigning to work with global markets, challenger brands, NGOs, individuals and industry bodies
- We have an unrivalled strategic counsel and an integrated team experienced in delivering for high-profile companies and some of the most exciting entrants to the market
- Our journalistic expertise means we know how to spot and hone a story. Our team understands how to make a story work hard across every possible channel. We ensure the work we are doing is having the right impact with the right people
- We also provide expert advice and delivery in the digital world, taking in the complex interactions of social media
We are looking for a Senior Consultant to join our Corporate team on a 6-month contract to work on one the biggest global Pharma companies.
- As an established Senior Consultant your experience to date should lean more towards global communications, with expertise in media relations and creative campaigning.
- You will also have strong experience across the pharmaceutical sector, can speak eloquently to pharma brand communications and understand the regulatory environment.
- You will have strong experience of leading teams to deliver complex multi-market comms campaigns for pharma companies or other healthcare organisations as well as advising the client on media strategy.
- Providing leadership and strategic counsel on a major complex client account;
- Contributing to the smooth running of the Corporate practice at Portland;
- Directing a major accounts/projects;
- Leading integrated comms/ PR offers;
- Develop strategies that address client objectives; develop tactics that further those strategies; and develop action-oriented planning and working documents and other communications that express those strategic and tactical ideas clearly and convincingly.
- Write and produce client-facing proposals, presentations, strategic plans, and other materials, both independently and in collaboration with other Portland employees and representatives.
Providing a quality service
- Have strong commercial acumen - utilised with bottom line figures in mind as well as continued high standard service offering to clients;
- Be able to anticipate clients’ challenges and develop strategies to solve them;
- Have the ability to communicate confidently with Portland staff, senior clients and other stakeholders;
- Demonstrable ability to lead teams to achieve results for clients.
- Be a credible and confident adviser on media and reputation;
- Have strong commercial awareness and ability to support aggressive new business drive;
- Have a network of contacts to help fill pipeline and pull in new business;
- Be media smart with good contacts in national and international print and broadcast;
- Be able to sensitively navigate stakeholder engagement, with particular experience in working with patient groups/NGOs/non-profits and the challenges that can bring;
- Be able to lead accounts and manage clients – a track record of agency experience handling is not essential but would be beneficial.
Team working and projects
- Be able to work with and communicate effectively with others across the agency;
- Be an excellent decision maker with a real ability to lead and mentor a team across different client accounts;
- Develop collegial relationships with individuals at various levels throughout the agency;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills with a real flare for pitching and presenting ideas and business plans;
- Focus on organic growth and development of team, have experience of being a line manager to junior team members.
Qualifications and skills
- Relevant, senior level PR experience gained from an agency, in-house or government facing role;
- The ability to be a key influencer with the gravitas to provide senior leadership and counsel on major complex accounts;
- Excellent client servicing and interpersonal skills, as well as a real ability to lead pitch teams;
- Proven ability to grow and lead teams;
- Tenacity to drive marketing and business development;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, excellent client-consultation skills as well as client and agency growth and development.
What we offer in return
- We are part of the Omnicom Group, the leading global advertising, marketing and corporate communications company.
- We have an unrivalled strategic and advisory council; a group that has held some of the hottest seats in politics and the media.
- Our clients benefit from their experience and expertise, but so too do our people.
- We are committed to employee development and have an open doors culture. We have a solid and structured approach to individual career development where you will have the opportunity to learn from some of the most experienced people in the business and we regularly reward and promote success within the company. We actively encourage staff to develop innovative and exciting ways of delivering success and to take on new challenges and responsibilities to aid progression.
- Our remuneration package also includes a wide range of employee benefits, such as our competitive pension contributions, private healthcare, life assurance cover, company contribution to gym membership, company parties and much, much more!
- At Portland we take a flexible approach to work and encourage our colleagues to do the same. All our roles are open to flexible working requests and we will consider all options during our recruitment process. This includes but is not limited to: flexible hours, home working, compressed hours and job sharing.
- In addition, every person that works at Portland is eligible for our industry leading profit share. When Portland thrives, all of our people share in that success.