My client is an ever-evolving consultancy with a difference, that has three extremely creative and intelligent founders, that exist to bring depth to an industry categorised by the superficial! They combine world-class consulting with world-class creative and believe the best ‘corporate’ work should be deeply creative, and that the best creative work helps build corporate reputation. Award winning with first class clients, this is an exciting opportunity.
Their vision is to work with a point of difference. Their ethos is not only focused on the end result, but how this work is delivered, who produces the work and what team members are brought on board to help them with this vision. This is a start-up business (2 years with 50% growth this year), with a huge and exciting global network of industry experts and multi-million-pound corporate clients. The consultancy is working with some of the most senior and elite individuals of many sectors, building a reputation and creating and delivering brilliant work within the corporate comms and ESG arena, alongside looking only for the best team members that fit not only skill set wise, but equally and more importantly, culturally.
Due to growth of the business, this part-time OPERATIONS DIRECTOR ROLE is a key hire.
The suitable candidate will be responsible for the smooth running of the business, who will identify existing and potential operational issues and create best practice solutions to support the business’ objectives so the founders can focus on growth, client service, product and finance. The role forms part of the management team, reporting into the board and has equal emphasis on strategy and activation.
Previous operational management experience within a consultancy is required for this role. The agency also anticipates the right candidate will have significant experience within the communications and/or consultancy industry, working across roles and departments, bringing substantial industry knowledge to bear in this role.
Core skills and responsibilities
- Strategic and creative problem-solving – the ability to take any issue, quickly understand the true nature of the challenge and objective, and to produce rigorous and timely solutions
- Excellent communication - the gravitas and experience to manage the operational elements of the business, not only working closely with the founders, but with all members of the team. The right candidate will also be a brilliant listener and have the ability to ask the right questions, at the right time
- Good interpersonal skills – able to build strong relationships at all levels both within and outside the business, quickly earning people’s respect and trust
- Commercial nous – this person will be responsible for ensuring all elements of operational performance support or improve upon the business’ financial targets
- Project management – highly organised and experienced at managing and implementing multiple work streams at once
- Big picture thinking – there will be considerable implementation in this job, but it is essential the Operations Director doesn’t lose sight of the ‘Why?’ of their role. They should always reflect ‘what’s the purpose of this, how will it add value to this organization?’. We expect the person in this role to keep our commitments to both people and planet front of mind in all their work
This role has been created to enable the business, and everyone in it, to operate as smartly and efficiently as possible. As such, responsibilities span multiple areas and include:
Resourcing and recruitment
- Support the Directors and Founders in resourcing both new business and existing client accounts. The Operations Director will identify and understand resourcing needs and help bring together the right people in mixed teams
- Grow understanding of all the skillsets available both within the business and freelancer communities. Create relevant systems and processes to record and manage these. Flag skills gaps and create plans to address these
- Craft recruitment briefs and job descriptions to facilitate resourcing, liaising with recruiters or the consultancy’s existing network to secure relevant people
- Conduct first-stage interviews for freelancers, representing the business and screening for skills and experience, and values and behaviours alignment
- Oversee the running of initiatives to broaden the talent pool in line with our values, including running the intern programme and schools programme. Spotting and kick-starting any other further initiatives
- Work with the CCO to understand how work is delivered across the business, and within each client team. Assess any issues or inefficiencies and make recommendations for improvements either for resource, or systems, processes or tech
- Get under the skin of the commercial plan and work with the FD, CCO and Directors to look at issues such as profitability and capacity. Assess current ways of working and create recommendations for improvements
- Work with founders to create and implement a core team training programme
- Take ownership of the consultants’ model and give feedback on its current status
- Advise on how best to build out the existing coffering, particularly identifying any skills gaps, or gaps in line with their values
- Network and meet with potential freelance candidates, representing the consultancy and communicating its purpose, work and values
- Advise on how best to maintain and manage community and communications within the freelance community, devising, recommending and implementing any such plans
- Support the founders in sourcing and managing resource for specific non-client facing projects e.g. marketing events, cause related activities, or industry partnerships etc
- Help strengthen the consultancy’s podcast offering in terms of identifying and sourcing landmark guests, production support, marketing outreach and scheduling
This role would suit a professional that has a good mix of corporate and consumer communications experience. This person wouldhavecut their teeth at maybe one of the global networked agencies, worked across various sectors and has experience of managing and developing a team beneath, together with their vision and understanding of the communications industry being aligned with this consultancy’sway of thinking.
This businessis not for someone that loves to have systems and processes already in place. This is not suited to anyone that loves a huge boardroom with coffee and biscuits laid out. You will have a hand in buildingthose processes and help to design the boardroom and to want to choose those biscuits! This exciting hire is for an eager and hungry individual whowants to be part of an ever-growing, smart and ambitious consultancy, who have the entrepreneurial drive within them that has been wasted elsewhere.
The perfect hire will not wear a suit and will be comfortable with not wearing a suit. You will be looking for a point of difference and a role that you can build and a team you can have a hand in hiring and developing. You will work alongside the founders and other senior members of the team to develop and push the boundaries with these corp/sumerclients. The agency will allow you to work in your own way and fit with the adultculture the business has worked hard to form. Lastly, this team member is for the long-term. The agency is looking for commitment and passion to develop and build an amazing operational platform to allow them to grow as fast as they have to date.
THIS ROLE IS 2 OR 3 DAYS A WEEK. A permananent hire with flexibility re days worked. This could change to suit both parties, whether that be the amount of days to start and evolving into more, or other elements to the role could be adjusted. The agency is open to suggestions and ways of making this role work for the best candidate for the role and the business.
If any of the above intrigues and excites you, get in touch asap please. This hire is ideally to be in place in QRT12021, though until the right person shows themselves, this position will stay open!