Portland is a strategic communications consultancy, trusted by some of the highest profile organisations, governments and individuals in the world.
We are pioneers in integrated communications campaigns that help clients argue for political change, manage their reputation, improve their visibility or recover from a crisis. We deliver these campaigns globally from our offices in London, Brussels, Paris, Berlin, Washington DC, Singapore, Doha and Nairobi.
For Portland, communication is not just what you say, it’s how you get things done. We get to the point with clarity, insight and focus.
We combine evidence with experience to find the insight that changes the game, and the argument that wins the debate.
Drawing on specialist expertise gained from decades of political, corporate, media, healthcare and creative experience, we help leaders in business, philanthropy and international affairs to make a measurable impact on the world.
Our work spans strategy, content and delivery, supported by in-house insights, digital and design teams. We work with a range of clients from large corporates in a range of sectors through to start-ups, NGOs and governments.
Learn. Challenge. For your clients and because you want to.
Give credit. Take responsibility for your actions. Listen.
Work with smart people. Make friends. Make everyone feel valued for what they can bring.
Grow our business & our careers. Pursue new avenues. Adapt to what the market is telling us.
- Are you passionate about politics and how policy gets made?
- Do you have both an eye for detail and a flair for communication?
- Do you enjoy the idea of coming up with exciting ideas for how some of the biggest brands can tell their stories to political and media audiences alike?
- Do you thrive in a team and are willing to go the extra mile to achieve the highest standards?
If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Portland is seeking an Associate Consultant to join our UK-focused corporate team to work primarily on our public affairs accounts.
With no two days the same, your activities will focus on helping our clients to understand and navigate the political environment, ensuring their voices are heard in the policymaking process.
This will require the ability to quickly understand how political decisions and policy might impact our clients on topics such as UK/EU trade, restrictions relating to covid-19, the upcoming Budget and Spending Review as well as a range of sector-specific issues.
You will need to work collaboratively as part of multiple account teams while also taking responsibility for delivering ‘client ready’ work independently.
Ideally, you will have at least two to three years’ experience, gained either in-house, in Westminster or within another agency. You must be proactive, detail-driven with a point of view on the political landscape.
- Helping to devise and deliver proactive and reactive political engagement strategies and campaigns
- Coordinating and undertaking high quality political monitoring that adds value to clients beyond what they can read in the news
- Responding quickly and accurately to client requests
- Working effectively with Executives and Interns to deliver outstanding written advice and briefings
- Drafting a range of materials from op-eds, online copy, letters and press releases
- Keeping on top of policy developments in a range of sectors, seeking to become an expert in the issues affecting your clients
- Supporting new business proposals and pitches
- Building a relevant network
- Supporting the growth of the business by contributing to marketing activity including events, promotional materials and blogs
What we offer in return
- An opportunity to work with some of the biggest brands. Our clients are what drive us to be the best we can. They include FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 corporations, leading charities and social impact organisations as well as insurgent challenger brands and businesses at the forefront of their sectors. All are different but they are united by a need for the highest quality strategic advice and execution
- The chance to learn from the best. Our people are Portland’s greatest asset and most have backgrounds in politics, media or business. Our clients benefit from their experience and expertise, but so too do our people. They include former senior advisers for at least three Westminster political parties, an ex-Political Editor of The Sun newspaper and a former Deputy Political Director in No.10
- A commitment to helping you develop in your career, with an open doors culture. We have a structured and rigorous approach to individual career development where you will have the opportunity to be managed and mentored by experienced public affairs professionals. We always aim to reward and promote success within the company and encourage staff to develop innovative and exciting ways of delivering for our clients or take on new challenges and responsibilities to aid progression
- An industry leading remuneration package. This includes a wide range of employee benefits, such as our competitive pension contributions, private healthcare life assurance cover, company contribution to gym membership, company parties, free daily breakfast, and much, much more! Every person that works at Portland is eligible for our annual profit share. We have always believed that when Portland thrives, all our people share in that success
- An opportunity to be part of the Omnicom Group, the leading global advertising, marketing and corporate communications company