I have a fantastic opportunity for someone with comms experience in the tech startup sector. A blank canvas role, inviting you to develop and own the company's brand positioning and communications strategy, in consultation with the founder, senior management and the board.
My client is a biotech company that is building a platform to discover revolutionary medicines using machine learning. By combining traditional biology with cutting-edge technology, it wants to radically improve the drug discovery process and produce safer, more effective therapeutics for people worldwide.
It boasts an impressive line up of scientists, biologists, technicians and advisers, has been backed by leading investors from the US and Europe, and been named by a leading market intelligence platform as one of their game changer startups with world-changing potential.
It is looking for a Head of Communications to help develop them into a credible, category-leading brand. This hire will be an essential part of the leadership team, reporting directly to the CEO, and help the company’s comms and culture become best-in-class. Whilst there will be an element of thought leadership and media exposure to help attract investment in the future, there is real breadth to this role, with employer brand, internal comms and partner comms being important audiences for the company.
It's a role for someone who genuinely wants to make their mark and build a comms function in their own mould, taking the company through key growth phases. As such it will suit someone with a broad comms skill set, a strong strategic brain, but also the willingness to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in. It will be a stand-alone role initially, therefore there’s no place for job snobbery.
Key requirements include:
- experience having worked closely with scientists and/or academics in a comms setting
- experience working with / for a highly technical organisation, where you had to distil a complex product into a simple (yet not simplistic) value proposition
- media relations credentials that include top-tier mainstream, science and tech publications
- the ability to wear many hats as the only communications person in a company
- ideally experience of having constructed a fundraising narrative that successfully secured venture capital backing
This is a well-funded company on an impressive trajectory, housing some seriously talented people, and held in high esteem.