Responsible to: Head of Media and Planning/Director of Strategy
Salary: Up to £28,000- £33,000 depending on experience
Benefit: Standard Employer’s Pension Contribution
Hours: Full time 37.5 hours per week including some rota cover
Location: Lib Dems HQ, Westminster, London SW1P/WFH
This job needs a highly organised and passionate communicator with the contacts, imagination and experience to package and pitch stories for consumer media, magazines and daytime TV. You will be excited by the challenge of translating political issues into stories that connect with mainstream audiences.
You will have a broad range of connections and consumer media experience, either as a journalist or a comms officer. You will understand the media landscape and instincts and be a voracious consumer of media of all types and platforms.
The post holder will join the busy and dynamic Liberal Democrat Press Office, working with Parliamentarians, staff, campaigners and stakeholders to promote the party’s agenda through all forms of media, including digital media. The post holder will build relationships with key journalists to further understanding about the priorities of the Liberal Democrats.
- Develop story pitches that position Liberal Democrat MPs, Peers and local council leaders for mainstream consumer media.
- Write powerful and decisive copy for press releases, comments and social media and be responsive to the needs of specific content formats.
- Plan proactive storytelling that builds the brand of the Liberal Democrats beyond its traditional platforms.
- Integrate fully into the Press and communications team including participating in the out-of-hours duty system, developing and managing events and contributing to broader organisational goals.
- Brief, assist and train Party spokespeople ahead of media appearances.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Proven ability to work with and understand the needs of volunteers.
- A commitment to the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats.
For questions and further details, and to submit an application, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org attaching:
- A copy of your CV; including complete work history.
- A Covering Letter; no more than 2 pages of A4 in length, indicating clearly how your experience and skills meet the criteria stated in the job and person specification. Please also write your name on top of your supporting statement.
We will be reviewing applications as they come in and reserve the right to appoint prior to the closing date
Please note: We will not be able to employ you if you are not eligible to work in the UK. We will not be able to obtain a work permit on your behalf. Applicants are encouraged to inform us if any reasonable adjustments are needed to be made during any part of the recruitment process.
Please let us have details of your current salary and two referees including one from your current employer – if you would prefer us not to contact them until a later stage of the selection process, please let us know.
The Liberal Democrats are equal opportunity employers and particularly welcome applications from groups who are currently under-represented in our staff.
The Liberal Democrats are committed to supporting the mental health and wellbeing of all of our staff. That’s why we’ve taken the Time to Change Employer Pledge. We encourage applications from persons with experience of mental health and are committed to supporting our employees to fulfil their potential and perform at their best in work.”