BVRio is a non-profit organisation founded in 2011 with the objective to create and promote the use of market mechanisms to facilitate environmental objectives. Originally created in Brazil, BVRio today operates internationally and has offices in Brazil, United Kingdom, Switzerland, China, Ghana, and Indonesia. BVRio’s work is focused around four ambitious goals: climate change mitigation, sustainable forest management, sustainable agriculture, and circular economy.
2021 is a critical milestone for BVRio. Following a number of important launches during 2019 and 2020, including the 3R initiative and the Circular Action Hub, we are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year and want to showcase our impact and tell our story.
We are now seeking a Director of International Communications to develop and drive BVRio’s communications strategy and lead our external communications and outreach activities.
The job is based in our office in Oxford (with remote working while Covid restrictions are in place).
- Coordinate BVRio’s communications activities to raise its profile within BVRio’s focal sectors: circular economy, legal timber, forest law, climate, and sustainable agricultural commodities;
- Define and execute a global communications strategy designed to support growth objectives, through creative and impactful initiatives, campaigns, award entries, events and speaking opportunities;
- As part of the global strategy, support the development and execution of sectoral and project-specific communications strategies and programmes, as/when needed;
- Act as BVRio’s global media contact;
- Lead the development and production of accurate and impactful content for all channels;
- Manage BVRio’s day-to-day communications activities, ensuring that regular (weekly, monthly, annual) and project-specific communications outputs are met. This includes social media, website content, briefing notes, reports etc.;
- In close cooperation with management, train and mentor communications team members and ensure continuous skill development;
- Provide communications support to projects during their development;
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant actors such as sustainability initiatives, support agencies, civil society, communications teams in other organisations, and other relevant stakeholders;
- Maintain a clear understanding of the current policy and strategic factors relevant to BVRio’s activities.
Qualifications, skill and experience
- Degree or higher degree in Communications or another relevant topic;
- Excellent written English and strong oral communication skills;
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience;
- Demonstrable ability to lead the development and implementation of a communications strategy to support engagement with partners and business development;
- First-hand experience of communication for not-for-profit organisations, large commercial organisations, international development donors or government organisations;
- Strong project and team management skills;
- Proficiency in website content management systems, social media, Microsoft Office.
Please submit your CV and a cover letter (1 - 3 pages in total) explaining your suitability for the position.
Early applications are advised, as we are seeking to appoint ASAP. Interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis and so we may close the vacancy sooner if a suitable candidate is found.