Established in 1597, Gresham College is a charity which provides high-quality free education to the public in a broad range of subjects. The College aims to stimulate a love of learning and intellectual curiosity and to champion academic rigour, professional expertise and freedom of expression.
We need a skilled website editor to help support the growth of our website into a thriving online community and a more effective vehicle to showcase and communicate ‘Gresham Knowledge’. This is a new role, and you must have an excellent understanding of website management and Communications, alongside a wide-ranging interest in educational content, and a passion to bring our outstanding content to a wider audience.
Title: Website Editor and Communications Manager
Purpose: To be responsible for managing the website, content management and liaising with web developers/SEO specialists and be a key player in presenting and promoting our outputs.This post is key to implementing Gresham College’s new vision of creating innovative content and expanding our audience.
Reports to: Head of Communications Technology
- To assist the Head of Communications Technology in the development and launch of a new website (currently in-progress, for launch August 2021)
- To maintain and update the College’s website, ensuring content is regularly reviewed (planning, researching, writing and implementing updates using our brand guidelines).
- To work with the Head of PR and Media in external communications for the College on the website.
- Optimising the user experience and user journey through improving search relevance, optimising content discovery and managing notifications.
- Managing website-based event registration, support, reminders and follow-up.
- Reviewing and grouping content from our archive of lecture videos into relevant and engaging playlists for users, including the management of customised user recommendations and development of playlists for specific groups (e.g. schools).
- To work closely with the Digital Marketing Manager on user tracking, optimising the user journey and ensuring social media is successfully integrated into the website.
- Follow best practice on SEO, copyright, privacy and accessibility.
- Using Google Analytics and other tools to evaluate traffic patterns, user experience and produce reports.
- Be a key player in promoting the outputs of the College and expanding our audience.
- To support Gresham events, attending lectures and events as and when required.
- To undertake such other duties as may from time to time be required
- Passionate about Gresham College’s free lectures and bringing them to a wider audience.
- Knowledge of website content management with considerable hands-on experience.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience in communications / marketing / journalism or a related field.
- Wide ranging interest in academic subjects.
- Proven experience at managing feature/product development projects with external web development agencies.
- Experience with managing website user communities (moderation, end-user support)
- Creative writer and thinker with excellent writing, proofreading, editing and communication skills, with meticulous attention to detail
- Knowledge of copyright and privacy rules (eg GDPR)
- Experience of using HTTP APIs for data management and reporting
- Experience with image editing and creative design (Photoshop, Adobe Creative Cloud)
- Able to work well in a small team
- Able to work under pressure with minimum supervision
- Good interpersonal skills, especially in relation to the public
- Flexible about working hours
- Reliable and self-motivated
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a letter of application stating why they would be a suitable candidate for the post and how they fit the person specification, enclosing a CV, and the names of two referees via the 'Apply Now' button.