Global Counsel is seeking an Associate to join its policy communications practice, which helps organisations devise strategies for advocacy, campaigns and strategic communications related to public policy opportunities and challenges. The successful candidate will work for UK and international clients across highly regulated industries including banking, payments, fintech and telecommunications, media and technology (TMT). The role is well suited to individuals with a background in public affairs, campaigns or strategic communications who want to work on high profile policy and political issues. The role is for anyone with the right to work in the UK.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a keen interest in media, politics, and campaigning.We want someone who loves to learn about the political and reputational drivers of policymaking, who can delve into the detail but also communicate the bigger picture.
- Has proven project management skills.Someone who can handle concurrent tasks effectively and lead independent projects.
- Has deep intellectual curiosity and energy. You will be adept at handling complexity and ambiguity, able to grasp new issues, scan the horizon for threats and opportunities and form coherent and well-argued advice.
- Takes a proactive approach to problem-solving and decision-making.Someone who is willing to build their own network to call on for insight.
- Is an effective written communicator.If you are confident, you can write persuasive and engaging briefings and thought leadership content you might be the right fit for us.
- Already has some relevant experience. We are looking for someone who has 2- or 3-years' experience in a public affairs agency or campaigns role such as working in parliament, or for a political party. We would welcome applications from other backgrounds (such as Public Relations, in-house public affairs/ communications)
Role and responsibilities
- Support the development and implementation of advocacy, communications and thought-leadership campaigns on policy and regulatory issues, in the fintech, payments and technology space.
- Act as a day-to-day contact for clients, building positive client relationships and delivering actions and projects to meet clients needs and deadlines.
- Support business development by identifying potential clients, contributing to pitches and campaigns.
- Lead the development of events as part of the team's broader marketing campaigns and efforts to contribute to policy debate and discussion.
- Produce written content and analysis in the form of policy papers, blogs and reports.
- Act as an active ambassador for Global Counsel at relevant industry and policy events, and invest in developing the skills, expertise and reputation of yourself and others.
Skills and profile
- Strong knowledge of the policymaking architecture in the UK (Westminster and Whitehall), other jurisdictions are a plus.
- Proven campaigns, advocacy and communications skills.
- Rigorous and entrepreneurial research skills.
- Clear, objective and engaging written communication, including on sensitive and technical subjects.
- Proven ability to produce engaging content, such as press releases, communications plans, executive speaking points and digital content.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills in English.
- A motivated self-starter who works well independently and as part of a team.
- Presentation skills, both in person and over digital software like Zoom and MS Teams.
- Self-awareness and a strong commitment to professional and personal development.
- Commercial acumen and the ability to make inferences and draw conclusions about how politics and regulations affect businesses.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter, outlining your suitability for the role, for consideration by 09:00 BST on Friday 25th June 2021 through the web form below.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an online interview and to complete a written exercise. Successful candidates will then have a second-round interview, ideally in person in our London office, should circumstances allow. We expect the successful candidate to start as soon as possible.
What we can offer
- A competitive London-based salary with 20 days' holiday allowance plus bank holidays, 5 hybrid days, summer parties and discretionary Christmas office closures.
- A full package of benefits including pension, health and dental insurance, bonus programme, as well as company social activities, and EAP and wellbeing support.
- Access to enviable locations in our London and Brussels offices, and high-quality IT and ergonomic support for remote working.
- A strong professional development program including a personal training budget.
- The chance to learn from world-class advisers and political experts in a fast-growing firm.