Job Title: Deputy Director of Communications and Engagement
Area: UKRI Corporate Hub
Band: X - £83,000
Hours: Full time
Contract: Open ended contract
Closing date: 10th October 2021
Interview dates: 11th/12th November 2021
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) is the national funding agency investing in science and research in the UK. Sponsored by the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, we operate across the whole of the UK with a combined budget of more than £8 billion, and bring together the seven Research Councils, Innovate UK and Research England.
Our vision is to bring about an outstanding research and innovation system that gives everyone the opportunity to contribute and to benefit, enriching lives locally, nationally and internationally.
Throughout the last year UKRI has played a central role in convening and catalysing efforts to respond to the coronavirus pandemic, supporting hundreds of projects addressing the challenges. With a new website, we have made it easier for researchers and innovators to find the funding opportunities they need and showcased their brilliant research and stories. Now is a very exciting time to join the team.
About the role
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) are seeking a Deputy Director of Communications and Engagement to build understanding, engagement and trust for investment in research and innovation, working internally across our nine councils and externally with a wide range of organisations and audiences.
Working closely with the Director of External Relations, Communications and Public Engagement, the Deputy Director for Engagement and senior leaders across UKRI, you will lead the implementation of UKRI’s communications and engagement strategy; spearheading our ambition to reposition research and innovation to a new place in our culture – by everyone, for everyone.
Operating as part of the Senior Leadership Team, you will inspire and motivate our talented team of communications and engagement professionals, working across all communications functions from internal and external corporate communications, public engagement, government relations and stakeholder relations and offering strategic advice and solutions at the highest level.
Your key areas of responsibility are:
- To define and lead the development and implementation of new policies, procedures, and standard ways of working for communications and engagement
- To develop, implement and continue to evolve the overarching communications strategy built on insight, evaluation and effective partnerships
- To deliver the communications evaluation function for UKRI, incorporating best practice from the Government Communications Service and other relevant communications bodies
- To proactively manage a complex communications budget
- To develop exceptionally strong relationships with the communications colleagues in the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), across government and with partner organisations across the research and innovation community
Ideally, you will have:
- Proven experience of creating and leading strategic communications and engagement across multiple partners and operating with ease across a diverse stakeholder base, including our internal community, academia, industry, government and the general public
- Experience of leading a changing team during periods of transition and transformation
- Experience of leading and collaborating across functional and organisational boundaries to deliver objectives
- Knowledge of how to ‘modernise’ communications functions and activities, driving innovation in ways of working leading to organisational effectiveness
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams, councils and communities
- The ability to absorb, evaluate and communicate complex information appropriate to the audience
- The ability to influence, persuade and negotiate
- The ability to effectively lead, inspire, build capability, and motivate team members
UKRI is looking forward to applications from range of backgrounds, which it hopes will help invigorate its operations in the future. Experience of the research and innovation sector with networks in government, academia, and industry would be beneficial to the success of this role
We also value diversity of thought and experience and are committed to creating systems that value difference so that everyone can feel welcomed, included and nurtured throughout their time with us.
We know actions speak louder than words. For further information, please visit ‘How we support EDI in the workforce’
What we offer
Choosing to work at UKRI means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits including a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to provide a CV and a statement of suitability setting out how they meet the requirements for this role.
Click on the Apply button to apply.
Please visit our website for more information at www.ukri.org. If you have any queries, please contact the team directly at [email protected]