We’re looking for an enthusiastic and vibrant Public Relations or Media Relations Executive to join our expanding global Media Relations team here at TheNewsMarket.
This rare hybrid agency / in-house role is all about the pitch – it’s a dream role for a PR who, a couple of years into the profession, would like to build that enviable book of contacts.
We’re looking for a junior or executive who has experience of pitching to media and is hungry for the bite; a self-starter who loves nothing more than spending the day on the phone pitching their news stories to some of the world’s biggest TV stations, newspapers, freelancers, magazines and influencers. The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years experience in PR and Media Relations (either in-house or agency) and will have proven success in their pitching and writing abilities.
The Media Relations Executive will represent some of the world’s leading brands across almost any industry, from technology and start-ups to mobility, sustainability, fashion and interior design – no one day is ever the same and so the candidate will need to sift through copy, grab the media hook and go. With the opportunity to work across all clients and develop experience like-no other comes the need for a methodical approach, so organization and the skill to develop processes are essential.
Our flagship newsroom, thenewsmarket.com, has been a news source for global media for over 25 years, regularly placing our clients on TV news channels around the world and so our relationships with journalists are absolutely crucial. This role requires someone who understands that one approach does not fit all and will spend time developing the right angle for each journalist.
Reporting to the Head of Media Relations, the Media Relations Executive will be responsible for ensuring client news is distributed to the right media and therefore will have an understanding of effective media lists and experience of reports and coverage trackers. An overall understanding of the whole art of PR will benefit this role and effective writing skills are essential.
- Creation and maintenance of target media databases for both clients and TheNewsMarket itself
- Continually looking to identify new journalists around the world to build relationships with
- Developing an enviable knowledge of and relationships with top tier media in key markets
- Writing effective media pitches for different journalists, globally and across varying subjects
- Daily phone pitching and follow-ups, ensuring that news from TheNewsMarket becomes the news in reality
- Working with clients to develop and write press releases, advisories and media briefs
- Working alongside the Head of Media Relations, Digital Marketing and Editorial teams to activate integrated campaigns
- Working with The Head of Media Relations to support in-house PR activities to maintain and build TheNewsMarket brand position
- Supporting the Head of Media Relations in organizing Satellite Media Tours across global broadcasters
Essential skills and experience
- Minimum 2 years in a PR agency or in-house
- Extensive experience of:
- successful media pitching to B2B, consumer and/or broadcasters
- managing and building journalist databases
- developing PR messaging, press releases and media briefs
- data analysis and reporting
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Attention to detail and excellent proof reading
- Preferable knowledge of Cision or similar media database tool
- High degree of competence with a range of presenting tools
- European languages desirable but not essential
The Media Relations Executive will:
- be a self-starter who loves to speak directly to the world’s biggest journalists and broadcasters
- be driven by results and hungry for press coverage
- be a strong team player
- have a structured approach to their tasks
- be steadfast to ensure the right information is correctly communicated in a timely manner
- be process driven but highly flexible
- be personable and engaging
- have a strong interest in current affairs
- have an excellent grasp of the UK and international media and public relations landscape
- second language is desirable but not essential