NEW Media Relations Manager position
with leading international membership organisation and charitable body.
Please get in touch to review the full job description if you have the required skills and experience.
Salary: £40,680 + benefits
You will be joining the lovely Media and Communications team. This role will ensure media relations strategies are developed and delivered to meet the organisation's strategic goals - raising their profile and meeting policy-led campaign objectives. You will support internal senior stakeholder's media activity and ensure the press office function responds effectively to media demands, so they are seen as the authoritative voice by media.
- Develop and deliver media strategies for key reports and campaigns to ensure organisation wide goals are achieved;
- Advise on media strategies and provide support to regional media relations network to ensure effective and consistent of messaging across all media channels;
- Advise project teams and expert panels on media approaches and likely media coverage for key reports;
- Advise senior management on media issues where the organisation's reputation is at risk and make recommendations to mitigate/minimise risk;
- Develop new and existing relationships with internal media spokespeople to ensure the organisation is represented in the media on a range of topical issues;
- Ensure media coverage and successes are communicated effectively to our members;
- Contribute to and help implement the wider organisation public voice strategy to ensure media work is coordinated in the plan to maximise its effect;
- Work with the regional networks to approve regional media comments, press releases and coordinate activities across national topics;
- Attend project team/panel meetings for the production of key reports to identify emerging media themes, identify potential media spokespeople, advise on media approaches, make recommendations and manage expectations;
- Manage media relations budget to ensure expenditure remains within agreed budgets.
What they are looking for:
The successful applicant will join an ambitious and sociable team and will have proven experience of managing workflow of a busy press office including national, regional and trade media. Within this they will have experience of crisis and reputation management and advising senior management on media and reputational risk management. They need someone who is confident and can work with senior key stakeholders internally. Also:
- Experience establishing media relations strategies;
- The ability to lead and deliver specific proactive media campaigns (short and long-term);
- Experience shaping and influencing emerging policy reports to have communication hooks;
- Ability to identify and mitigate reputational risks;
- Credibility to advise senior management and volunteers on media approaches and interview briefings;
- Media writing skills in a range of formats;
- Experience of writing quality news articles for technical press is desirable;
- Effective media skills are essential, including attention to detail and the ability to turn technical material into non-technical outputs targeted at a range of audiences.