Senior Corporate Affairs Manager
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced media and public affairs professional to join our team on a full-time (or 0.8 FTE) permanent basis. The successful candidate will work across all aspects of communication but will take lead responsibility for media relations and public affairs. There will be a particular focus on work relating to offshore renewables and other net zero industries and sectors.
We manage property – including buildings, land, coastline and seabed – on behalf of people of Scotland. Our purpose is to invest in property, natural resources and people to generate lasting value for Scotland. Our profits go to Scottish public spending.
We work in a way that:
• Generates prosperity and value for all of Scotland;
• Supports the growth of sustainable business and industry in Scottish seas and on the coast;
• Makes places better for those who live, work and visit there;
• Promotes sustainable ways of producing energy, food, and other products; and
• Creates opportunities for people to use and benefit from the Scottish Crown Estate.
Our values of Integrity, Excellence, Collaboration and Commercialism help us to put our purpose into practice.
They shape how we work, underpin our actions, and help to make Crown Estate Scotland a great place to work.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from the right candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief or race.
About the role
The successful candidate for this new role within the organisation will be responsible for:
• Working with colleagues to implement the communications and engagement strategy, including developing content and planning dissemination through a range of channels including website, social media, media (especially online and broadcast), briefings etc.
• Integrating media relations and public affairs with wider communications activity including digital
• Leading on public affairs and managing day-to-day running of the media office.
They will support the Director of Corporate Operations to:
• Develop and implement communication plans and activities that align with our purpose and with our 2020-23 Communications and Engagement Strategy.
• Identify and manage communication opportunities and risks proactively.
• Work with our Scottish Government sponsor team and their colleagues in planning and managing announcements that involve Scottish Ministers and coordinating responses to queries including correspondence and parliamentary questions.
• Conduct formative and evaluative research to underpin campaigns and other activity.
• Craft concise and compelling copy, in plain English, and provide proof-reading support for colleagues.
• Work in line with emerging guidance and best practice on inclusive communications.
• Use a full range of communication platforms effectively, to help us deliver on our communication objectives.
• Understand, and where required, contribute to team business objectives and priorities.
• Manage suppliers / contracts and ensure delivery of best service and value. This is likely to include an agency that designs and delivers campaigns and supports on media relations.
The role will be based within our Edinburgh office (with home-working as required due to COVID-19). There will be the opportunity to request to work flexibly.
The starting salary will be £48,513.12 with potential for future progression as well as eligibility of annual cost of living rises. The maximum salary for this role is currently £59,195.22. The role also benefits from 25 days’ annual leave, increasing to 30 days after four years’ service, plus 11.5 of public / privilege days. Crown Estate Scotland encourage flexible working and operate a discretionary flexi-time scheme. This role offers participation in the Civil Service pension scheme.
• Hold a qualification in a relevant subject (e.g. PR, communications, politics).
• Be a member of CIPR and / or hold an appropriate accreditation, plus be able to evidence continuous professional development.
• Have significant experience of working in media relations and public affairs (ideally this would include some agency experience).
• Experience of working in offshore renewable energy industry and / or other marine / coastal industries and sectors
• Have a track record of generating quality coverage across a range of channels including broadcast and social media.
• Be able to respond to media enquiries, often turning queries around in less than one working day using complex information about our work.
You will have the following qualities, which are key to success in this role:
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to assimilate technical information and use excellent writing skills to turn it into clear, concise and accessible content.
• Understand the fundamentals of good project management
• Ability to deliver timely outcomes in a complex, busy working environment sometimes with
• Confidence in using Microsoft Office products (such as PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Sharepoint, MS Teams).
To apply, please visit https://www.crownestatescotland.com/corporate/careers
Interviews will be conducted week commencing Monday 6th December
Closing date: 5pm on Monday 29th November 2021