Mencap is recruiting a Media Manager to join its outstanding Media Team in Central London.
You will work with our Head of Media and the media team to deliver a high quality press office function and drive high profile effective campaigns across a diverse range of media. You could be working on issues as wide-ranging as the current social care crisis or the underrepresentation of people with a learning disability in the media.
This is a full-time position (37.5 hrs per week) permanent position based at our Centre of Engagement in London, currently with the option of some home-working.
The successful Media Manager will have extensive experience of working under pressure in a busy in house press office and having frequent contact with the national media through building and maintaining relationships with journalists. You will be an excellent and effective communicator across all formats – from presenting new ideas with conviction, to writing impactful articles or statements, to chairing engaging and agile meetings.
You will have demonstrable experience in planning, co-ordinating and delivering media campaigns to a range of audiences, as well as evidence of protecting brand reputation, for example through crisis management.
This role will be managing two people, a Senior Media Officer and an Assistant Media Officer, so a good level of management experience is essential, but most important are the skills to inspire, motivate and guide colleagues.
Key skills and experiences for this role (but not limited to):
- Demonstrable evidence of producing high level, clear, persuasive and accessible media outputs
- Ability to deliver media plans and campaigns
- Outstanding communications skills – written, verbal, negotiation, and presentation
- Experience of working in a busy press office, in frequent contact with the national media
- Experience of successfully managing team members to reach their potential and deliver against team objectives
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders to identify the role and value of media work and provide appropriate solutions
- Sound knowledge of current affairs and the news media landscape
Please see the role profile for a more detailed list of all essential criteria.
If you are an experienced media professional looking for your next step, then please get in touch today.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit the direct gov website.
We reserve the right to close this advert early.
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 32 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Eligibility to join Mencap Pension Plan where Mencap matches contributions up to 5% on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings. If you don’t join the Plan you start, you will be auto-enrolled after three months with us.
- Membership of Mencap Pension Plan to include up to 3 times salary death in service live cover AND Income Protection of 50% salary to be triggered at 26 weeks of long term sickness
- Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
We work in partnership with people with a learning disability, and all our services support people to live life as they choose. Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist. We want to make you feel inspired to reach your potential.
Our work includes;
- providing high-quality, flexible services that allow people to live as independently as possible in a place they choose
- providing advice through our help lines and web sites
- campaigning for the changes that people with a learning disability want